19

As soon as I get back home, I tell my mom about Carla and how I needed her to bring me to the hospital to go see her. It's a long argument but I finally convince her to bring me and let me stay there overnight to make sure she's okay. It's a Thursday, so that means that I'll miss some of school tomorrow. Oh well, all I care about right now is making sure she's okay. In my backpack, I have my books for school, and a clean pair of clothes to wear tomorrow. As I'm walking out the door, I remember something and I run upstairs to my room. Well as fast as I can anyway. I dig through my closet to get to the little box I've been keeping there. I throw it in my bag and race to the car, where my mom is waiting.
I meet Mrs.DiMino in the waiting room where I run up to her and give her a hug.
"Thank you for coming Krista." She says.
"Don't thank me, I need to make sure Carla is okay." I respond.
"Listen, Carla really isn't doing well," she starts "she wasn't eating or drinking anything, and wouldn't talk to anyone. I went to check on her the other day and she was passed out on her floor. She was rushed here." There were tears starting to trickle down her cheek. "They said that she was extremely dehydrated and had a dangerously low heart rate. She hasn't made much of an improvement in the past two days..."
I notice that I also have a few tears coming down my face as well.
"I'm ready to see her." I say with as much confidence as I can.
The walk down the bright white hallway seems like a mile long, until we arrive at the door of room 368. Underneath the number, in the dainty handwriting of a desk worker, it clearly says Carla Lillian DiMino. My hand reaches for the cold, silver doorknob and as I turn it, my head is spinning. I know i need to see her, and be here for her, but what I see when the door opens is nothing I could have prepared myself for.