Chapter 2:

School dragged on and I soon found myself finally walking through my front door, slamming it shut and locking it tightly.

"I'm home!" I called up the stairs, but soon realized my mother was still out for business. I tossed my backpack onto the couch and made my way to the kitchen, ignoring all homework for now.

A mental debate was made in my head, and I finally decided on Oreos instead of Chips Ahoy, and sat myself down at the table. I tore apart the package, and dunked four or five in my glass of milk. I moaned in pleasure and went for my sixth cookie before my phone buzzed in my pocket. I rolled my eyes while sliding it out of my pocket and watched an unknown number appear on my screen.

I answered finally. "Hello?"

"Call him." A husky voice replied, and the line went completely dead. What?

Probably the wrong number, I said to myself. I went back to my Oreos and scrolled through my phone once more when my phone buzzed once again. I answered irritated, "Hello?"

"Better call him." The same voice said, and I opened my mouth to question him but the line went dead once again. Screw this. I dialed in the number and waited for a ring, but it never came. Instead, an automatic voice repeated "I'm sorry, this number is out of service at this time."

I let out a sigh and went back to my phone, scrolling through old pictures and videos, before I noticed the lights begin to flicker. I glanced up, confused, and looked outside to find black clouds with rain pouring out of it. The hard rain bounced off my windows and the wind practically shook the house, and without warning the lights completely shut off. I mentally cursed as I tried the light switches but got no response.

I dialed my moms number and was greeted by her voicemail. "Crap. Okay, hey mom. I, uh, got home and there's a terrible storm so we have no power. Call me tomorrow, okay?" I let the line die out and turned on my flashlight. I slowly walked around the house, checking to make sure I was all alone, and sat myself on the couch. I closed my eyes and tried to relax, "Calm down. It's only a storm." I whispered to myself over and over again. The sound of lightning cracking followed by a loud thunder clap did it for me. I let out a loud scream and stood up, losing all calm.

My phone buzzed on the sofa and the same number appeared. "What!" I screamed in the phone. I heard nothing but deep breathes before he said, "Should've called him."

The line went dead again and panic took over my entire body. I fumbled for my phone and dialed Monica's number. The line went straight to voicemail, no ring whatosever, and I hung up and tried again. Same response. I tried once more and got nothing, so I immediately called Savanah next. Same response. I hug up and tried again, but when I heard nothing, I pulled my phone off of my ear to see the screen completely black.

I clicked my home button and a small red battery appeared, indicating it's need for a charger. Great. What am I doing, I said to myself. My hands ran through my hair as I bit my lip, panicking. Do I stay here all alone? Or do I drive somewhere? The sound of thunder made my decision: drive somewhere. I reached out into the dark and managed to find the kitchen counter top. I snagged my keys and my phone and headed for the door. The door clicked unlock and I swung it open, only to fall straight to the ground.

Fear took over me as I managed a scream, looking at the dark figure in front of me. The screen door rattled in his hands and he managed to get it open before stepping inside. I scrambled to the door and slammed it on him, making him grunt, while I got to my feet and ran up the stairs.

I booked it into my room, tripping over the pile of dirty laundry I'd had forever, and slammed my door shut. Lightning struck and flashed light in my room, showing me diving over my bed onto the floor beside it. I cornered myself and stood there silently as I heard footsteps up the stairs.