Chapter 3:

I slipped inside the gym locker room just as the bell rang. Last period of the day, and I prayed to god it went by fast. I mean, Andy wasn't in religion today, and classes went by extremely quick, so let's keep this good day going.

Half of the locker room was already changed but I had no worries. My locker swung open with ease and I tossed my bag inside, stripping from my skinny jeans as I snagged my shorts. My legs went smoothly into my shorts, and I threw my shirt over my head when I saw Savanah, and I had completely forgotten until now what I had wanted to say.

"Savanah!" I called, "Savanah come here real quick."

She took a step over the concrete bench in the middle of our locker section, and said, "Yeah, what's up?"

"Why didn't you pick up any of my calls last night?" I asked, locking my locker shut. Her face was completely blank. "What are you talking about?"

I huffed, and said, "I called like two times before my phone died."

Savanah shook her head and shrugged. "Didn't get it.. What'd you need?"

"My power went out because of the storm last night and-"

Savanah protested. "Woah woah, storm?"

I nodded slowly. "Yeah, it was pouring rain and-"

"Madison, the skies were completely clear yesterday." Now it was my turn for a blank expression. "I was long boarding down your street and your power was on.. Are you sure you're okay?"

I blinked a few times in response, and snapped out of everything as I heard the teacher call for attendance. Savanah disappeared in the crowd of people, and I slipped on my gym shoes while squeezing through the crowd. I stepped into line just as my teacher was pulling up to my stop, and with one evil glare, she gave a dramatic check next to my name with her pencil, her eyes never leaving mine. I raised both my eyebrows in response and turned around, making my way to the gym with the rest of the class.

"Alright ladies," my teacher called out. "we're having a little competition."

"What kind of competition?" A girl shot back.

A sly smile spread across her face as she announced, "Co-Ed dodgeball!"

Everyone's eyes went wide in surprise; not in all the years of this school being up and running has there ever been a Co-Ed gym class for one period. My body tensed up a bit as my nerves kicked in. Both my anxiety and fear of my awkward body had been bad enough, but in a stupid gym uniform showing everything made it even worse.

"Maddie!" Savanah snapped her fingers in front of me.

I blinked and said, "What?"

"There's that kid," Savanah pointed to the pool of incoming boys, but I could already pick him out easily. There stood Andy, leaning back against the wall, a smile spread across his face. His icey blue eyes sliced into mine, and our eyes connected until the whistle blew loudly, causing both of us to break it.

"Alright!" She said. "Let's have a good old fashioned game of dodge ball."

Her overly obnoxious voice soon drifted away as my focus turned to Andy. Why was he here all of a sudden? He was nowhere to be seen in the hallways, nor did he bother to show up in religion. So why-of all places, why- did he show up in the class I dreaded the absolute most. I glanced up and found Andy already at the line, waiting to sprint for a ball.

I eyed him carefully while walking back to my line, readying myself. I could feel Andy's eyes locked on me, and I turned my head the other way, waiting for the whistle. She blew it loudly, signaling for us to break from the solitude of the blue line, and I took off with Savanah and her friend by my side. We stole two of the large red balls and backed ourselves up behind the others, waiting for the perfect target to strike. While their minds were on anyone they could hit, mine was directly on one target. Andy.