Side Chapter 1 - Tinkerers

Elijah Knight POV

My childhood is nothing more than a hazy memory. Before I was adopted, I apparently lived with both of my parents in a remote town in the Kingdom of Darv, just south of Burim. But during an attack on our way to Vildorial, my mother and father were killed trying to hide me.

This is merely what I was told by those around me, so I cannot confirm nor deny it, for any memory prior to waking up in the medical ward is practically gone.

When I became orphaned, a gentleman by the name of Radheas saw some sort of potential within me. He told me that the potential was not that of a fighter, but of a genius.

But being the stubborn little boy I was, my life's goal became proving him wrong, and becoming someone worthy of a warrior's respect.

I spent uncounted days improving my swordsmanship, and when I awoke at the tender age of only eight years old, I was lucky to have a step-sibling called Olfred, who had also been adopted. He was a powerful mage, one of the best of his generation, Elder Radheas would say.

He helped me train in the arts of earth manipulation as I strived to surpass him.

To me, this was my childhood. Nothing more, nothing less. Eventually, I decided I needed to face the outside world, and with the news that Olfred would be leaving to take on a vital role in the 'future of the continent', I decided to become an adventurer.

Those years were quite pleasant, yet gruesome. Dungeon to dungeon, monster to monster, I honed my skills and took on fierce opponents with my rotating party members by my side. I saw many who stood by me fall in these battles, but that was the nature of the job.

Eventually, as my teen years began, I met the infamous adventurer Note, where we took on quite the formidable opponent. This also led us to being betrayed by one of our own, a pipsqueak known as Lucas Wykes, leaving us for dead. But just when I fought I was strong...

Note, he crippled and killed the S-Class Mana Beast all by himself.

Later on, I even found out he was a year younger than me! To be so strong at such a young age, it was formidable!

Once all was sorted, the boy who I now knew by the name of Arthur Leywin was kind enough to let me stay with him, until we decided to begin attending Xyrus Academy together. And after only a few months, we did exactly that.

I never had any real interest in attending a school, but once I laid my eyes on all the other people my age, I realized something...

I can find myself a girlfriend!

I felt this urge to find myself a romantic partner, a feeling I already knew I had inside me, but now had desperately multiplied. I suppose this was due to my lack of any real affection or physical contact with others in my life, or not having any memory of it at least...

And that's just how the first few days went. In between classes, and even during some, I tried making all and any contact with the girls of the academy. But lady-luck wasn't on my side as I failed in practically every attempt.

Not only this, but I also became jealous of Arthur. The lucky kid had THE Princess of the Elves with him, despite me calling dibs! How dare he break the sacred ruling of dibs...

But just when I thought all hope was lost, I was having lunch with Arthur as he introduced me to his now fiancé, a voice resonated from our side.

"Arthur? Nice to see you again!"

Looking towards the voice, a girl with long curled green hair stood straight, plate in hand. She wore a large pair of round glasses, and radiated pure joy. I couldn't help but feel my knees become weak as I looked at her.