Chapter 39 - Wait No Longer

As I sat on the hard floor sharpening Feyfey's blade, Theo and Doradrea duelled each-other in the middle of the training area. The sound of metals colliding and visual flare of sparks flying had the attention of all those present in the crossing of blades.

Theo lunged forward, one foot after the next as he aimed for the sternum, to which the dwarven girl quickly hopped back and out of range.

In an effort to counter, she pushed herself off the floor in a dash and attempted to hit his sword-arm. But with just a bit of his signature gravity magic, Theo made her buckle, making her fall to her knees, winning himself the duel.

Everyone present clapped in praise as the fight ended, shouts of encouragement emanating from the fellow DC members.

Claire stood up and handed them both a clean towel to wipe the sweat, alongside a glass of water.

"Thanks, Claire." They both thanked whilst still panting.

"No problem." She smiled at both of them before diverting her attention to me, a smug grin coming onto her face. "Now then Mr. Captain, I think it's time we see you in action."

Looking to my left, Feyfey nodded vigorously, agreeing with the redhead, and looking to my right, Kathlyn's usual cold glare was replaced by starry eyes.

"Come on Arthur! Show us what you've got." Curtis incentivized with a shout from across the field.

I sighed in defeat, reluctantly laying down the sharpened sword and walking over to the centre of the field.

"Fine. Who's my opponent?" I looked around me, waiting for someone to raise their hand.

"I think I'll take you on first." A familiar voice rang out from the entrance of the room.

Turning towards the location from where the person spoke, I smiled subconsciously as I spotted a girl only a little shorter than me, gunmetal hair swaying around and holding the hand of a silky blonde haired girl.

"Tess? Are you sure?" I asked nervously, looking my newly arrived fiancé in the eyes. "You of all people know what I'm capable of."

"And that's exactly why I'm your best choice of opponent." She winked at me. I could only chuckle to myself as she sat Sylvie down near Feyrith.

"Very well then, my dear." I drew Dawns Bellad from my dimensional ring, taking a stance to face her. "Shall we begin?"

Her expression changed to that of nervous excitement as she drew her gorgeous elven blade-staff, pointing it at me.

"Would you do the honours, Claire?" I asked my Vice-Captain. She drew and activated the defensive artifact, covering both me and Tess in a coating of protective mana.

"Begin!" She shouted, taking a step back.

I stood in place, waiting for Tessia to make the first move. I've been out for two weeks, who knows what has happened.

She chanted a quick incomprehensible spell before dozens of vines burst out of the ground, beginning to encircle my position. A few of them shot out in an effort to grab me as a barrage of wind blades flew over, aiming right towards myself.

Taking my blade, I cut down the vines that attempted to entrap my legs, simultaneously creating a wind wall in front of me and blocking the offensive spell she cast.

(A/N): Yasuo moment.

If there was anything I wanted to do right now, it was to push my fiancé to the limits and see how far she has come.

Activating Thunderclap Impulse and igniting my blade, I cut through the vines around me, bolting in the direction Tess stood moments ago. Breaking through, she stood in the same position, a large spell pre-cast as if waiting for me.