Side Chapter 3 - Long Awaited

Lilia Helstea POV

"I look forward to working with you, Lilia."

I still remember the first day I met Jarrod. We had both been assigned positions in the Student Council during our first year here at Xyrus Academy, him being the Treasurer and me being the Secretary.

At the time, my main goal was pursuing Arthur. The perfect boy...

Arthur had helped me awaken my mana core despite being the daughter to two non-mages, he was the first and only Quadra-Elemental prodigy, and was, of course, all around good looking.

I used to get butterflies every time I talked to him, ever since a few days after he arrived at our estate despite being presumed dead.

But unfortunately, it would seem that any advances I made ended cold.

During that first year at the academy, Jarrod confessed his feelings towards me multiple times, with rejection awaiting him every single time. I was too tunnel-visioned on Arthur to even try and pay attention to anyone else.

Flowers, chocolates, invitations on dates... I feel like he tried everything on me, but none of it got through.

But none of it mattered at the time, my goal had already been set.

It wasn't until Ellie's ninth birthday where I realized my romantic predicament. After a short but meaningful talk with Arthur out on the balcony, I realized he had no interest in dating me, or in having a future together.

To say it was heart-breaking at the time would be an underestimate.

For the following weeks I silently wallowed in self pity without drawing attention to myself. But despite my efforts, someone in school noticed I wasn't myself.

And it was none other than Jarrod.

Despite attempting to put it off, he was insistent on me 'not being myself' and how he could help. Reflecting on it now, I realize just how blind I was.

But ever since then, my interest in him began to grow bit-by-bit.

Cut to the present and I finally understood why Arthur kept his emotional distance from me. He already had Tessia.

I never would have guessed in a million years that the upstanding girl known as President Tessia Eralith, sole Princess of the Elven Kingdom, had any ties, much less a mutual romantic interest in Arthur, but that was reality.

And it wasn't until they announced that they were officially dating AND engaged that my mind finally clicked. I finally had the mentality to move on, and focus on what's been in front of me this entire time.

I was currently eating lunch with Jarrod and a few of our classmates, Ashley, Cassidy and JJ.

Over a nice meal of Frost Turkey and Vegetable Stew, the topic shifted to the couple that had rocked the Academy.

"Did you guys hear about their engagement party?!" Cassidy asked excitedly.

"Yeah! I bet it was super pretty." I commented.

"Right? The President IS royalty, so it was probably super-over the top!" Ashley squealed.

"Yeah... I wish I could find myself a girlfriend..." JJ moaned, earning him a giggle and a pitiful pat on the back from Jarrod.

"You and me both, bud." He comforted.

JJ pouted like a child, crossing his arms and looking away before mumbling.

."At least I'm not desperate like you, simp..."

"Well excuse me for making an effort." Jarrod scoffed.