Side Chapter 2 - Melting Ice

Joshua Haynes POV

"Did you see the fight?!"

"The Vice President lost a hand!"

"I hope Princess Tessia is alright..."

As I walked down the hallways of Xyrus Academy, the infamous, quick traveling gossip reached my ears. It would appear that the Vice-President of the Student Council picked a fight with Arty and President Tessia.

Although many of the conversations being held seemed to be exaggerated to some degree, it would appear that Clive got his shit thoroughly smacked, and whilst Tessia was also injured, it had not been anything too bad.

But if I'm being honest, my main concern was for my good ol' pal Art. He's the type of guy who cares dearly for those around him, especially his family, and in this case, fiancé. So I could only guess how this situation is affecting his mental state.

He's likely blaming himself for what happened, thinking about what he could have done differently, how he could have changed the outcome, and become angry and disappointed in himself for it.

Let's try to cheer 'em up.

As I made my way in a hurry throughout the hallways and walkways of campus, I was stopped by several students in an effort to socialize with me. They could clearly tell I was in a hurry, but they had no regard for this, only acting upon their self interest.

You had to be living under a rock to not know of the status of House Haynes. We were one of, if not the most high-standing tradesman family. We did business all over the continent, with everyone who required it.

Unlike most of our noble competition, we didn't stop ourselves from trading with lower classes. Sure, it wasn't as profitable, but there was far more trade to be conducted with the average man.

After many years of refining our commerce, we were even recognized by the Royal Family of Sapin, branding us as their lead commercial expander. Many benefits came from this title, but I would say the one I enjoyed the most was the opportunity to meet Curtis.

No matter what others told me about him, he was an upstanding kid who only wanted to do good by his lineage. But not only this, he also just wanted to be a regular boy at times. Being a prince didn't really allow for this, so when I became his buddy, we grew close quite quickly.

Whenever we could, we would spar together, study together, even go to public events on the rare occasion. I never cared for his status, I just enjoyed his company as his friend.

And yet, after one faithful day. I couldn't help but feel like I was taking advantage of him at times.

It was one of those days where I met him at the Palace to practice our sparring techniques with his instructor when I first saw her.

Long black hair swayed as she walked into the training room. A small white frilly dress that cut off at her knees. A doll-like face, unmoving. Porcelain skin to contrast her deep brown eyes.

I stood in awe the first time I had laid eyes upon the girl. She was Curtis' sister, Princess Kathlyn Glayder. I remember barely being able to avert my gaze when I first saw her, yet little did I know it would not happen again for a long time.

Ever since then, a small portion of my heart would hope to see her again whenever I met with Curtis, but it never happened.

Cut back to the present as I'm STILL looking for that little prodigy when I come across a familiar face I was just thinking about.

"Oi Curtis!" I shouted across the hall.

The figure turned around to meet my gaze before a massive smile came up on his face.