Chapter 34 - Halted Plans

Alduin Eralith POV

"I think it's about time you release the boys." Blayne demanded angrily. "You have no right keeping two school boys hostage."

Agona sighed loudly as Cadell shook his head in disapproval. From the corner of my eye, I could see the human Lance, Thunderlord wearing a despicable expression.

"My Scythe warned you all. Any hostility towards Arthur Leywin will be considered making an enemy of the Vritra Clan." He spoke bluntly, his posture straight and hands interlocked in an authoritative yet calm manner.

I sighed internally as I watched their petty and nonsensical exchange occur. The Council along with the High Sovereign and his right hand are currently in a meeting to discuss all upcoming matters, including trade deals, the upcoming Crucible, and the situation involving the attack from two weeks ago.

"And you still apply that petty rule to a CHILD?!" Dawsid spat. He seemed to always take the side of the Glayders for some reason, still to be deduced.

"A 'child' was still fully capable of almost injuring the Princess of Elenoir, and has potentially KILLED its future prince." Cadell cut in angrily, refuting the nonsensical claims.

"Whatever the crime may be, you DO NOT have the authority to take the two boys hostage on this continent." Priscilla intervened in a more calm and calculating manner.

"From the report I received, the two perpetrators were not even shackled. I do not call this 'arrest'." The High Sovereign spoke in a monotone voice, unimpressed.

I wanted to intervene. I needed to! But doing so would easily show favoritism on my part to Alacrya, and bias on the part of my daughter. Ruining my relationship with Agrona was too high a risk to take.

I diverted my gaze to both my wife and father, both of them wearing the same expression, wanting to speak up, but having their hands tied.

"You simply cannot take them for two weeks without justification." Blayne reasoned with a scowl.

"I believe I already justified enough. But please, enlighten me Mr. Glayder." Agrona called out to the human king with a smile. "What would the consequence be of an attempted assasination at your son or daughter?"

"Public execution would be merciful for any bastard who would try that!" He slammed his fist onto the table.

"And so why should the punishment for the same crime towards our daughter be any different?" Merial spoke, her motherly instincts kicking in.

The red headed snob averted his gaze as his wife looked down towards the table in understanding of our position.

"Frankly, I do not care who holds the prisoners captive. I only care that they meet the punishment they deserve." I butted in as a chance finally presented itself.

"That still does not give you the authority to waltz onto our continent and take people captive!" The old dwarf shouted.

Father's eyes narrowed onto the two small figures sat across from us, his arms crossed and an unsatisfied aura coming from him.

"For as much as I would like or dislike to agree to your terms, both the Wykes and Graves families demand updates when it comes to their children." Priscilla reasoned in a neutral tone.

Agorna's smug smile widened, before leaning forward and onto the table.

"Well, I think this discussion has brought at least something to light." He scoffed. "Let the families know of their impending executions."

My family and I already knew that this would be the fate they were to meet. Poor Arthur is still unconscious, and we still don't even know if he's going to pull through. Tessia hasn't spoken to us in a week, isolating herself from everyone except the dragon bond.