Chapter 7: House of Light

Click click click click. Click click click click. Click click click click.

Stepping through the large wooden double doors adorned with veins of liquid blueish silver light, their footsteps click and echo through the vast ceiling of the building. As soon as Kala and Punkin take several steps past the vestibule and down the hall towards the center atrium, the wooden double doors shut behind them.

Taking in deep breaths of the empty air, both Kala and Punkin feel a sense of smallness as they stand in the vast circular atrium of the building space.

Spreading out from the epicenter of the open room, several corridors hold rows of shelves and piles of books, with an occasional bowl of glass, ceramic, rock, or metal where various corridors lead to the intersection at the atrium.

Along the corridors and the sides of the atrium, several hooded cloaks hang on the walls as if all the occupants have hung up their work and are taking a break from whatever job they have. The books laying on the shelves and in the piles across the Athenaeum radiate a tempting light from their spines as if whispering and beckoning for someone to open them.

Echoing across the halls, a warm contralto female voice inquires, "Who is there? I am expecting no visitors.''

"You never do. And we are not just visitors," shouts the grinning Kala as she looks down at Punkin and raises her eyebrows.

Suddenly, two single-horned wolves the size of large bears dash out from corridors at opposite ends of the atrium and jump around Kala and Punkin as if they knew them and have long awaited their arrival.

A short-haired woman of medium stature and height, wearing thick glasses that reflect light, calmly walks out and quickly shushes the wolves, "Shhhh!!! Oh hush, you two. Behave! And mind your manners."

Quickly, the wolves cower and lay on the floor, whimpering into silence and submission.

Looking Punkin up and down, the woman smiles, "It has been a long two years, my purple-haired Pupu. You may not remember me, but I have never forgotten you. I am Arwyn Saga, a friend of your mother and father."

Smiling, Punkin grabs her hair-buns and shouts "My daddy said Purple is my mommy's favorite color!!! It's mine too! Do you like purple?"

"Yes, Pupu I do. It is actually my favorite color too. And you are my favorite witch, even if you did not have purple hair," responds Arwyn, as she lightly pats Punkin's head.

"I'm a witch! No more prentice witch! HA! Ay! Ya! PEW PEW!" screams Punkin while pretending to shoot the wolves with magic.

Looking back at Kala, Arwyn asks curiously, "How did you get past the village and remain undetected by people with her? And why have you brought her out here where she may not be so well received by the others within Haeven's walls? I take it, Cer doesn't know you brought her all the way out here, beyond the farm."

Brushing off Arwyn's concern with a wave of her hand, Kala sneers "Nobody dares disturb a swarm."

"Ahh. Still traveling by swarm I see. It must still be effective. How intriguing that the bees have taken to you so kindly..." responds Arwyn in an inspecting tone.

"Whatever it takes to get around. And it may not avoid attention, but it does draw people away versus closer," smiles Kala.

"Well, the others will be happy to see her again. Just keep her out of sight from those that are not our own." Arwyn responds before turning away to look at the atrium chamber.