Chapter 17: (Con)Found Me

Sitting up with an adrenaline rush from nearly passing out, Cer tries to refocus on the faint voice. Is that voice in my head?

"Get up, Cer!! Help me find Pupu," yells a confused and desperate Kala from a distance.

Preoccupied by the growing fear of another attack, Cer looks around frantically and calls out, "Kala? What happened? Did you see or feel that? Where did it go?"

Stumbling to get up and prepare for another attack, Cer scans the immediate area for any signs of threats and searches for the aura-less presence.

While still looking around for Punkin, Kala quickly approaches Cer with an equal amount of surprise, "What are you doing here on the Valkyrie? You are supposed to be in The Mecca. How did you even get here?"

Now realizing that Punkin is not with Kala, Cer responds with panic and urgency while scanning the area for Punkin's aura and scent, "What are you doing here and where is Pupu?"

Placing her hand on Cer's shoulder to stop Cer's fruitless efforts, Kala tries to redirect Cer's panic and focus. "That won't work here. Our senses are distorted here. You have to call out to her. She will be okay. She is stronger and braver than you know."

Continuing to call out in hopes that somebody would respond, Kala looks to the other passing ships, "PUNKIN?!?! Eve!!! Akiraion! Runt! La Gateau! Kali! Where are you?"

Feeling a sense of protectiveness and anger, Cer begins to successfully gather mana and energy "Wait...You actually lost Pupu?"

As Cer turns to face Kala with a fear-driven anger growing, Cer and Kala hear a barely audible plea in the distance, catching them both off guard and replacing Cer's anger with alarm.

"NO!!!! Don't hurt them!! That's my friends!!!" Screams the voice in the distance.

Looking to the direction of the screaming, Cer sees a visibly large aura in the distance through the mist.

Running across the bow of another ship, the figure rapidly approaches Cer and Kala, with Akiraion, Cherub, Runt, Belle, and Kali chasing after it.

"Stop! Don't make us chase you" shout the crew, as they chase the figure with the large aura.

Ignoring the shouts of the others calling out to warn of any danger, Punkin continues dashing towards Cer and Kala screaming "Leave them alone!"

Arriving to Cer's side, Punkin stops abruptly and eagerly searches for someone or something before turning to yell at Cer, "Daddy!!! You came! Did you see them? Did you see my friends? They were here. Where are my friends? You scared my friends! Bad Daddy!"

Picking up Punkin and embracing her tightly, Cer swings Punkin around as tears dribble down Cer's face and fall to the floor where they sprout flowers. "I thought I lost you. I am so happy you are okay."

"Owww that hurts. Stop it. That hurts. Too tight. I am right here. I am not lost. You are. I was waiting for you to come home." Pouts Punkin with both anger and sadness.

Cupping her face in Cer's hand, Cer calms Punkin's anger and sadness, "Sometimes we get lost looking for the very thing right in front of us. I am sorry for taking so long to find my way back home."

Giggling, Punkin squeezes Cer's cheeks, trying to cup Cer's cheeks in her small hands, "We're not home, silly daddy. We need to go home."

With a forced smile, Cer looks into Punkin's eyes and corrects her, "I am home; right here, with you."