Chapter 8: The Awakening

Waking to the sound of clacking noises outside, Cer abruptly notices another presence sitting in the room.

"Who's there? How did you get in?"

"I'm sorry. Didn't Nova tell you I was coming to get you? I am a friend, not a foe. Otherwise, I would not be allowed in this building," responds a voice from a chair in the corner of the room.

Looking towards the source of the voice, Cer examines the aura and energy of the voice, and discerns that the source is no threat nor is it magical. "Are you of Ursa Dormis?"

As the presence stands to check the activity outside through the window, she responds, "I don't think you'll remember me. I am Pixie, and no, I am not a witch. I have been the caretaker of this place since the members of the Ursa Dormis hospitality group left it. I am a friend and fan of Kalypso. She left this place in my care a little less than 2 years ago. I was scribed a talisman that allows me to enter and leave without giving away its nature. Nova has sent me to retrieve you. It is almost kiki time. I was told you will be joining us for the kiki."

Hmmm. For Kali to have had a talisman scribed for her means that she can be trusted. Afterall Kali would never let anything happen to me, and scribes are hard to come by. Smiling with a sense of relief, Cer offers Pixie a single candle engraved with The Apiary sigil. "Since you are a friend of Ursa Dormis, I can trust you with this then."

GASP. "The Apiary. I didn't know you work for The Apiary now. You brought us supplies!! We were running low, and no matter what we build to supplement the magic here, we can't replicate honey. Did you also bring honey?" squeals Pixie with excitement.

With a bit of confusion, Cer responds while fumbling to tidy the bed, "What do you mean replicate honey? What is it that you all do in The Mecca?"

Grabbing the wooden box and handing it to Cer, Pixie announces proudly, "We have advanced our technology after the war! Mech and tech were cursed but we have have been blessed in The Mecca to continue to advance our own craft and technology without being attacked! Because WE DEVELOP OUR OWN WITCH-TEK!!"

Pausing to process what is being heard, Cer throws the wooden box over the left shoulder and responds, "Then why am I here if you have your own way to fix things?"

"Aside from the honey supply delivery, I don't know why you are here. You'll have to ask Nova why she called for you. Also I heard from Neko you are blind, so I doubt it's to help us deal with the invisible hoard."

For the first time since stepping into Cherub's portal, a sense of excitement over the familiar joy of home washes over Cer's body, "Wait... Neko is here? What is she doing here outside of Scryer's Tower and Haeven? When do I get to meet her?"

With a look of confusion washing over Pixie's face, she responds, "Ummm, you already met with her. How else do you think you got past the shield? Only Neko or Yasmina can let people in or out."

Sensing Pixie's aura of confusion, Cer responds tersely with disbelief, declaring, "Yasmina, I can understand. She is probably the one that made the bubble shield and she lives here. But Neko? That's impossible. That can't be my Neko. Neko is a scryer from Haeven. Unless she has a cat, she can't port. And we all know cats are almost extinct from poaching... That can't be Neko. She wouldn't leave the tower. Scryers usually don't leave the safety and comfort of their tower."

"You don't really visit your friends, do you? Two years ago, we found Neko outside our bubble trying to get in. Apparently Neko can only port to places she can see in her mind- places she can remember or visualize," Pixie responds with a bit of fact.