Shouldn't

"You okay, mom?" Jordan gives his mother a bottle of water.

Serena wipes the spit on her mouth with a napkin as she leans against the car. She grabs the water bottle and chugged it down, Damon letting go of her hair.

"That's the third time you've done that." Hayley gets out of the car. "That's not good."

"I'm fine, Hales." Serena sighs taking another sip of the water.

It's been a two months and the three were now driving to New York City to meet with Serena's werewolf friend that would help Hayley find her pack family and connect with them.

The first month away from Mystic Falls was hard they traveled to Italy and then France. Serena couldn't do anything on her own. She felt sick and disgusted with herself. She was heartbroken. She couldn't believe she actually became his second choice.

Seeing his mother hurt, Jordan slowly started to despise his father more and more as time went on. He hated the way Klaus let Serena go without a fight. He hated that he let power and the stupid doppelgänger get in the way of having a family of his own and being with the love of his life.

What kind of man does that? To him, always and forever wasn't always and forever when you didn't put your family first. The title of a father was slowly becoming nonexistent and it was starting to mean nothing to him.

"No you're not, Bambi." Damon wipes sweat from her forehead.

"Damon, I'm okay." Serena snaps. "It's probably just car sickness or something."

"I never thought I would hear mother nature getting car sick." Hayley tries to bring the mood up.

"Mom, not only is that the third time today, but like the 20th this week." Jordan rubs her back. "I'm worried."

"I just need proper rest." Serena speaks softly to her son. She didn't want him worrying about her. It should be the other way around. "Damon can take over and I'll sit in the back with Hayley, sound good? Good."

Giving them all a smile, Serena gets in the back where her brother was sitting. The three still outside share a worried, knowing look. They all had a understanding that she wasn't okay and that she needed to see someone, despite her being supernatural.

"After we meet mystery man?" Damon raises an eyebrow.

"Yup." Jordan and Hayley nod before they all get into the car to see Serena already knocked out. They let out a small chuckle. Hayley moves her head to that it was laying in her shoulder. Serena leans into her, cuddling into her side. Hayley smiles wrapping a blanket around her.

Damon watches throw the mirror as Hayley pushes a piece of hair behind Serena's ear. Damon watched the two girls gradually get closer. Hayley helped Serena out of her depression and it made him happy that his sister had another person that cared about her deeply.

"You think she's gonna be okay?" Jordan asks his uncle. "I can't lose her, uncle Damon. She's all I got left and if I lose her—."

"You're not losing her." Damon cuts his nephew off as he starts to drive. "She's going to be perfectly fine. We're gonna help her through everything just like we've been doing. It's still hitting her. She just needs time and a doctor."

Jordan nods, staring out the window, watching trees and lights pass. It was quite and the sun was slowly rising. It was crazy how fast his day went due to worrying about his mother.

What was going on with her?

Was she going to be okay?

Why did all bad things have to happen to her out of all people?