○3○

When I come into Republic Records the next morning, I immediately sit down behind my desk. I have inspiration for another song. Nobody knows I'm thinking about Chloe every day. I suppose it's more difficult to move on from her than I thought. I miss her so much, but she moved on.

This morning when I ordered coffee from Starbucks, Chicago walked in. He greeted me but I completely ignored him, forcing myself not to punch him in the face. He was walking with a walking stick, so he must be injured. I don't hit injured people, that wouldn't be a fair fight.

I sigh as I start up my laptop, where I start up my music program. I plug in my headphone and close myself off from all the noises around me. Okay, which song should I finish today? "Be alright"? "Amnesia"? "Dance with somebody"? Or "Me and my broken heart"? The song that's closer to my feelings now, is "Me and my broken heart" because Chloe broke my heart by cheating on me with all those guys.

Just as I opened that song, my phone vibrates. I can see messages from Sutton and Serena.

Serena: Fancy some lunch later? 🥪🤔

Sutton: Hey, I just wanted to let you know that if you wanted to record the song you finished yesterday, you can use the booth this afternoon. How's the next song going? 🤔

I look towards Serena first and nod, so I don't have to message her back. She smiles back at me and continues with her work. I look towards Sutton now, who's writing something on her whiteboard.

Beca: Hi, thank you for the intel. I would love to record that song, but do you think Mr. Banks will allow that? 🤔

It doesn't take a while for her to message back.

Sutton: No, he doesn't. He suggested it himself.

Beca: How does he know about the song? 🤔

Sutton: Please don't hate me now, but you left your sheet of paper here yesterday. I showed it to Mr. Banks. 😬

Beca: You did what?! The song wasn't even finished yet! 😟

Sutton: But it is now, right? 🤔

Beca: Obviously, but -

Sutton: Beca, Mr. Banks loved it! If you play your cards right, you can have a future of becoming the CEO here someday. 🙃

Beca: 🤨 I don't think Mr. Banks will let me be the CEO, but thanks for the confidence.

Sutton: So, should I book you an hour at the booth this afternoon?

Beca: Only if you will come too. I need one opinion and you seem nice.

Sutton: 🥰 Thank you for the compliment. Unfortunately, I can't come because I have a meeting with an upcoming artist. But I know someone who can come with you.

Beca: I can't know who, huh?

Sutton: Nope, but you will love her. She's really sweet and helpful. Can I send her a message to meet you at the booth?

I look over at her and look at my song. I don't know who Sutton is going to ask, but I want the song recorded. It will be my first real song and I can't wait to hear comments. I give her a nod and she smiles even more now. I shake my head lightly and turn my gaze back to the song on my laptop. Okay, let's continue to work on this song before lunch with Serena and record the song with Sutton's contact.

,,One BLT sandwich and diet coke." I tell the waiter when we arrive at our chosen diner. Serena gives her order as well and then looks at me.

,,So, how's the new song going?" I sigh and grab my notebook.