○17○

I clear my throat as I sit in my chair. A state-of-the-art mixing desk in front of me. It's the second time I'm here, but this time it's because Sutton asked me to write and record a new song for Olivia's album. I've written the song and today we're about to record.

Today is the third month I'm working at Republic Records, which means I haven't seen or talked to Chloe for seven months now. Together with Sutton, I'm the youngest producer at Republic Records.

I look through the glass at Olivia and feel my heart leap with joy. I know that her voice will do the song right. Olivia put the headphone over her ears while she leans closer to the mic. I love the way she smiles enthusiastically, looking forward to singing the song we've been working on.

,,I feel honored that you choose me to write this song with." Olivia smiles at me. ,,And that you trust me enough to let me record this and use it for my upcoming album." I move my hand from the recording button to a switch that opened the inter-feed between my mic and Olivia's booth.

,,I know you'll do the song right." I tell her and smile. ,,So, you're good to start?" Olivia nods and puts her headphones back over her ears, giving me two thumbs up. ,,Okay, do what you do best." I assure her, pressing the 'record' button as I silently count down with my fingers. 3 - 2 - 1 - I hold my breath as I hear Olivia sing the lyrics perfectly.

I wanna ask you if it's easy sleeping in that bed

I wanna ask you how you're feeling next to him instead

I wanna know if you found closure, somewhere deep inside your head

I wanna ask you do you miss me. Oh, na, na, na, na, na, na

I wanna ask you do you miss me?

I stop recording for a moment, a big grin on my face. She sings it perfectly.

,,Is it good?" Olivia asks now and I press the switch to talk to her over the mic.

,,You're doing great." I say while turning back to my mixing desk. ,,Now continue, and don't feel bad to change anything. It's your album this song is going to be on. If you want to change anything, just ask and we do that." Olivia smiles and nods.

,,I was hoping I could change the chorus." I raise my eyebrows for a moment.

,,What do you want to change?"

,,Not much. I just prefer to sing 'her' instead of 'him'."

,,Why?"

,,Well, I had a boyfriend, who cheated on me. I want him to know it's about him."

,,That makes sense." I think about it. ,,Okay, you change it, but then start from the top." Olivia nods and as soon as I start recording again, she starts to sing but with 'her' instead of 'him'. It sounds so good.

The way I could take it down

When your mind was willing out

I was that I could hold you now, yeah

I don't know why we let it go?

I guess we thought we'd feel a little less alone

We break fast and we heal slow

Olivia keeps singing and this part is special to me because I wrote this song with Chloe in my mind.

Did you know I, I, I, I, I think about you every night still, babe?

And there's nothing I can say or do

'Cause it's all my, my, my fault, I let you down, I let you slip away

And there's so much left to say to you, yeah

She's at the chorus now and I pause recording for a moment.

,,Okay, now continue singing the chorus and finish the song." Olivia nods. ,,Can I suggest one thing?"

,,Of course." She's so sweet.

,,Try to sing higher when you're singing about the 'deep inside your head'. Like this." I start to sing what I mean.

,,That's actually a great idea." Olivia agrees and I press the 'record' button again, motioning for Olivia to continue singing.

I wanna ask you if it's easy sleeping in that bed

I wanna ask you how you're feeling next to her instead

I wanna know if you found closure somewhere deep inside your head

I wanna ask you do you miss me, oh, na, na, na, na, na, na

I wanna ask you do you miss me?

Olivia keeps on singing until the song is done. I stop recording and look at her. I give her two thumbs up and gesture for her to come over so we can both listen to the song.

It doesn't take long before Olivia is standing next to me.

,,Shouldn't Sutton be here to listen too? She's the person who is in charge of my album." Olivia has a point. I grab my phone.

Beca: Hey, Sutton. Are you ready for the best song of the whole album?

Sutton: Oh, you have a big ego, Beca. But I'm curious about what you have written because what you've done for Lily was great.

Beca: Good to know. Now can you come over so I can play the song?

Sutton: Okay, fine. I'll be there in a few minutes.

I stop messaging.

,,She's on her way." I tell Olivia.

,,Can I ask who you had in mind when you wrote this song?"

,,My ex-girlfriend. She cheated on me."

,,Oh, I'm sorry." Olivia takes my hand to reassure me. ,,I know how tough that must be. But it will get easier over time." She smiles at me and I give her a thankful nod.

Suddenly the door swings open and Sutton steps inside with a bright smile.

,,So, let's hear your masterpiece." She says and I flick three more switches. The song plays back again, filling the room through the speakers. I look over at Sutton nervously as I rise to my feet. Sutton listens to the song and when it's finished she turns toward both of us. ,,So," She points to me. ,,you produced and wrote this?"

,,Yes, together with Olivia."

,,Well, I love it. This song has a real potential." Olivia smiles and hugs me. Sutton turns to Olivia now. ,,I want to welcome you officially to Republic Records. You are hereby paired up with Beca to finish your debut EP album. I want five songs for the album and you two have one month to finish them." Sutton shakes both of our hands. ,,Great job, Beca." She compliments me again before leaving the booth.

,,Thank you for taking a chance on me." Olivia tells me when I look at my phone.

,,You're welcome, but if you want to excuse me. I have a date tonight and I want to prepare for that." Olivia gives me a wink.

,,Go home and prepare. I bet your date will love whatever you prepare." I smile, looking down before grabbing my things and leaving Republic Records. I'm glad that I only had a morning to be at work because now I have more time to set up the perfect date for when Serena comes.