○28○

Beca's point of view

One month later

It's been a month since we were all over at Emma's for the BBQ and it seemed like Ryan and I were getting closer and bonding more. I still have doubts about us all being a family but I'm trying for Chloe. I really don't know why I keep thinking this way but it goes back to what I missed out on and that's the whole Chicago of it all. I can tell he's trying to get closer to Chloe and Ryan since I've been back and it's really getting to me. I've been throwing myself into work and ghosted Chloe and Ryan for two weeks now, but shutting out people and pushing them away is what I'm good at.

I've been working on Emily's album, Olivia's, and my own during this time while I continue writing songs for other people. I'm so lost in my thoughts that I startle when I feel little hands on my legs. I jump a little, throwing off my headphones and pushing myself away from the editing board, trying to look for the source of my terror. I start to hear little giggles from behind me so I whip my head around and see Emily and Chloe trying to hold in their laughs while Chloe points with her hand to the culprit. I look down and see a smiling Ryan. I bend down and pick him up.

,,What's the big idea, mister?" Ryan giggles.

,,Emily told me to do it, she said it would be funny to scare you." I send a glare over to Emily.

,,I hope you're happy because I was working on one of your songs and it might be gone now." Emily stops laughing immediately.

,,What?! No, you can't be serious. That was one of my favorite tracks." I laugh back at them.

,,Now we're even." Chloe laughs again and then calms herself down.

,,I'm sorry but I couldn't resist, you know scaring you when you're in the zone, and I figured you would get less mad at Ryan." I look over at Chloe and then at Ryan.

,,You're right, and sending in the little man was probably a safer choice." I put Ryan back on the ground and look back at them. ,,As much as I enjoy the surprise visit, what brings you in here to see me?" Chloe looks down more seriously.

,,We need to talk. Emily, can you take Ryan with you for a bit?" Emily nods and grabs Ryan's hand.

,,Let's go to my office, I have candy in it and toys." Ryan's eyes light up and he runs off with her. My stomach drops because I know what's coming. Before Chloe can say anything, I just sit back down and feel the tears stream down my face. I look at Chloe.

,,I already know what you're going to say, you don't have to say it."

,,You already know what, Beca? That you ghosted us for weeks?"

,,I'm sorry, okay? I know you're mad at me and I owe you an explanation."

,,No, stop that."

,,Stop what? You know it's true. You saw what I did to us and now with -"

,,Beca, stop it. What happened before is not your fault. But I thought we were doing better, what happened?" I take a deep breath.

,,I'm trying very hard, but now that Chicago is trying to get closer to you and Ryan again is setting me back spiraling because I can't lose you again, Chlo." Chloe sits across from me and grabs my hands before she runs circles on them.

,,You know that just because he is trying, that doesn't mean he's succeeding." I look up at her.

,,But how do you know that? I mean, you know what I did to you when I got back and now that I'm trying to get close to Ryan, Chicago is trying to ruin it. I feel like with every step forward there are two steps back because Chicago is always right there." She shakes her head and pulls me closer.