CHAPTER FIFTY

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER FIFTY: THE PEP RALLY

     ONE OF THE LAST THINGS Cassie Harrington wanted to be listening to at 7:00 in the morning was her brother, Steve, who was boasting about his lady problems while Object of My Desire by Starpoint played in the background

     ONE OF THE LAST THINGS Cassie Harrington wanted to be listening to at 7:00 in the morning was her brother, Steve, who was boasting about his lady problems while Object of My Desire by Starpoint played in the background. This routine had been going on for a while, and Cassie didn't know how much more of it she could take.

Every time Steve Harrington would come home from work, he would constantly gawk about the girls who had appeared at the Family Video Store that day. Although she never asked, Steve would inform Cassie what movie they had rented, and based on their decision, he would overanalyze their choices to find out if they were flirting with him.

"Then there's Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she's going out of state for college..." Steve trailed off, stressfully running a hand through his hair. "Do I want to start another relationship that has no point other than sex?"

Rolling her eyes, Cassie threw her head back on the seat cushion and groaned, "Steveeee, please no more relationship talk. It's too early."

"Cassie, I was asking Robin," Steve objected, turning to the girl sitting beside him. "Hey, Robin, are you even listening?

"Uh, yes," Robin replied shortly, focusing on applying her mascara. "You we're saying something about sex with...Linda!"

Shaking his head, Steve corrected, "No! I'm talking about Heidi!"

"Cut me some slack, please!" Robin defended, groaning in frustration. "Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity. It is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a corpse! Plus, I'm sure Cassie is just as sick of hearing about this as I am."

"I would love a topic change," Cassie announced, raising her hand.

"Oh, come on, Robin, you're not worried about a pep rally," Steve scoffed, shaking his head. "You really expect me to believe that? We both know this is about Vickie."

Abruptly sitting up, Cassie pulled herself to the front and asked Robin, "Wait, who's Vickie?"

"Nobody, nobody," Robin nervously replied. "Just some girl who's in band with me."

"Some girl," Steve mocked. "It's obvious you guys have a connection. Why don't you just ask her out?"

"It's not that simple!" Robin defended, letting out a sigh. "You ask out a girl and she says no, big deal. Nothing happens. Same with you, Cassie. If you ask out a boy, and he says no, you can move on. Maybe your ego's a little bruised. I ask out the wrong girl, and bam, I'm a town pariah."

"You do know she returned Fast Times at Ridgemont High paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds," Steve explained. "Know who pauses Fast Times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds? People who like boobies, Robin!"