CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER FIVE: THE NEXT
EPISODE

GROUPED TOGETHER IN THE main hall, the five friends made a plan

GROUPED TOGETHER IN THE main hall, the five friends made a plan. Mike nodded his head, clutching the walkie-talkie in his hand, "Alright. Cassie and I will take the East wing — Dustin you take the West. That leaves Will, you'll take the South, and Lucas take the North."

"Wait," said Cassie, shaking her head. "What about the outside? Nobody thought to check there."

Placing his lips together in thought, Mike hesitated, then nodded, "Brilliant, Cassie. You can check the outer rim of the school."

Nodding, Cassie spoke, "Alright, guys, let's go."

Breaking apart, the group separated ways, leaving a confused Max just behind them. Noticing this, Cassie jogged over to her, "You can go check the gym in the East wing."

"Right," Max spoke. "Thanks, Cassie."

Smiling slightly, Cassie made her way over to the nearest exit — pushing the door open. As a gust of cold wind flew by her face, she stepped out onto the grass and began her search.

"Come on, you slimy little shit," Cassie muttered, carefully taking slow steps to make sure she doesn't accidentally step on the thing. "Where are you?"

Shifting her gaze up, Cassie huffed, looking at the surrounding area. She had just covered half the school, and had one more half to do to clear it.

As she made her way to the front end of the school, she saw a figure standing next to the bike rack — a head of curly hair facing her back towards Cassie.

Furrowing her brows, Cassie shrugged — it must have been a student that stayed after for a test or something.

Turning around, Cassie continued her search — narrowing her eyes on the grass below. Just as she was about to leave the area, the walkie-talkie let out a small screech, causing Cassie to slightly gasp.

Whipping her head around, Cassie tried to find the figure she saw only seconds ago. But, when she looked back at the bike rack, the figure was gone.

"East is clear," Cassie heard Mike speak through the walkie-talkie, causing her to jump of fright. "How's the outside looking, Cass?"

Taking a deep breath, Cassie cut through, "Jesus, Mike, you gave me a goddamn heart attack. Yeah, the outside perimeter is all clear."

"Copy that," spoke Mike.

A few moments later, Dustin responded, "West is clear too. Will?"