CHAPTER FOUR

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER FOUR: THIS ISN'T
SOME LORD OF THE RINGS BOOK

AS USUAL, STEVE'S MUSIC blared through the stereo of his mustang as he zoomed down the road, beer bottles scattered in the compartment and all over the floor

AS USUAL, STEVE'S MUSIC blared through the stereo of his mustang as he zoomed down the road, beer bottles scattered in the compartment and all over the floor. Cassie was used to this, just as she was used to her father cheating on her mother. Nothing could get past her, because she was smart.

Cassie Harrington was prepared for everything.

Except for when she did not see Will standing at the bike rack with his friends Monday morning.

When dropping Cassie off, Steve shouted, "Later, brat."

But Cassie couldn't hear him. She was too focused on the group of three boys standing by the bike rack, confusion plastered on their faces as they looked around for their fourth party member. As she walked up to them, she spoke, "Where the hell is Byers?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing," said Mike, his eyes filled with worry. "Dustin said you were the last one to see him before he went home."

"She was!" said Dustin, turning to face Cassie. "He went home, right?"

"How the fuck do I know?" Cassie defended. "It's not like I followed him all the way home!"

"Calm down," said Mike, softly touching my arm.

Reacting as she would normally, Cassie winced and ripped her arm away from Mike as fast as she could. This took Mike by surprise, but little did he know, Cassie hated being touched.

"Don't touch me, Wheeler," Cassie spat.

"Well, well, well," an annoying voice spoke, causing the four to turn around. "Cassie, is the freak show bothering you?"

"Troy," grimaced Cassie, pushing her hand up against Troy's chest. "Stop."

"What do you mean?" Troy asked innocently. "I couldn't help but overhear that Frog Face was getting to touchy with my girl."

Cassie's eyebrows raised as she turned to Troy, walking up to him sternly, "I am not your girl."

"I'm just playing, baby," Troy cooed, causing his friend James to give him a high-five. "So, Cass, who do you think would win in the freak show?"

"Midnight, Toothless, or Frog Face," Troy spoke, shoving each of the boys as he called them off.

Annoyed as ever, Cassie stepped between Troy when he was about to shove Mike, "Get the hell out of here."

With a wink, Troy slightly bowed, "As you wish, my lady."

The two boys then walked off, leaving the four alone together. Mike gazed up at Cassie, not knowing what to think of her at this point. She didn't let Mike touch her, yet she defended him when he was picked on.