CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER SIX: WE'RE IN
THIS TOGETHER

SETTING DOWN THE TELEPHONE, Mike raced back towards his small group of friends as they bombarded him with questions

SETTING DOWN THE TELEPHONE, Mike raced back towards his small group of friends as they bombarded him with questions. As he silenced them all, Lucas spoke, "So, did she answer?"

Mike jogged, stepping up the staircase past his friends, "We need to talk. AV room. Right now."

Grabbing her things, Max followed the group as they shuffled inside. Noticing this, Mike spat, "Party members only."

"Come on, Mike," Dustin pleaded.

"No!" Mike defended stubbornly. "This is non-negotiable."

Furrowing her eyebrows, Cassie was about to protest. But, she then remembered that what they were about to discuss was top secret.

Turning to the red-haired girl, Cassie spoke, "Max, it's for the best. I know that sounds like the shittiest thing ever, but it's true."

Before the girl could respond, Cassie, Lucas, and Dustin followed Mike through the school doors. As the four filed into the AV room, Mike began the discussion.

"Will didn't want Cassie nor I to tell anyone," Mike spoke, shifting a quick glance at Cassie. "But on Halloween night, he saw a sort of shadow in the sky."

"A shadow?" Lucas questioned, his brows furrowing. "What kind of shadow?"

"The kind that scares the living hell out of you," said Cassie, throwing her arms up in defeat. "It's probably the demogorgan trying to pull some weird telepathy shit."

Letting out a quiet chuckle, Lucas nudged Dustin, "Come on, guys. This is serious."

"Guys, if this is true, if Will really can see into the Upside Down, maybe he saw the shadow again yesterday," Mike explained.

"Oh, it was defiantly the shadow yesterday," said Cassie. "When I followed him out there, his eyes were frozen wide and his face was pale."

Silence followed the girl as she finished, "Thats a look of plain terror."

"Can it hurt him?" asked Lucas. "I mean, if the shadow thing isn't from our world..."

Mike shook his head, "I'm not sure...Cass?"

Cassie took a deep breath, "Will was unharmed after the incident. If you were to ask me, I'd say the shadow is only playing with Will's mental and emotional control — nothing physical."