CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER FOURTY-TWO: SOMETHING DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT

     CASSIE STOPPED SHORT ON HER WAY back to Hopper's cabin when spotting two figures walking through the rain

CASSIE STOPPED SHORT ON HER WAY back to Hopper's cabin when spotting two figures walking through the rain. One had on a shiny, yellow raincoat, while the other wore a red. The girl recognized the clothing, and she didn't hesitate to advance towards them. Jogging down the slick road, Cassie reached the figures and tapped one of them on the shoulder, "Max?"

Whipping her head around, Max Mayfield let out a gasp, "Cassie? What are you doing here?"

"I..." Cassie tried to form the words in her mouth as her gazed moved back and forth between Max and Eleven. "I just broke up with Mike."

After turning to one another in shock, the two girls looked back at Cassie in unison and shouted, "What?!"

"Why?" Max followed.

"I don't think I wanna talk about it right now." Cassie replied, shivering as the cold rain froze onto her exposed arms and legs. "Shit, you guys are smart for bringing a raincoat."

"Don't worry, we brought one for you too." Eleven said, pulling out a bright blue raincoat. "You know, just in case."

"Aw you guys," Cassie gushed, taking the raincoat from the girl and throwing it on. "What did I do to deserve you."

"You know we always got you girl." Max smiled.

"What were you guys doing out here anyway?" Cassie asked, gazing down the road that acted as a river with all the rainwater trailing down it.

Gazing at one another once more, Cassie felt the tension begin to rise between them.

After a few moments of silence, Eleven spoke up, "It's Billy."

"Billy like...your brother Billy?" Cassie asked Max, who nodded in reply. "What's up with him?"

"We don't know, thats the thing." Max answered. "After you left, El and I decided to use her powers to play a game-"

"A game where I could use my powers to see other people." Eleven added. "But when I saw Billy...something was wrong."

"Wrong?" Cassie asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "Wrong how?"

"Eleven saw him talking to Heather, a lifeguard at Hawkins pool, in a weird, gruesome way. El thinks he might have hurt her. Badly. We just came from the pool, and now we are going to Heathers house to make sure she's alright. Do you want to come with us?" Max asked.

Cassie took the time to think back to what she saw at the pool. For a while she had never spoken up about how Billy seemed off, and now, she might have the chance to find out what is really going on. And she was not going to pass up this opportunity.

Turning to her friends, the girl nodded, "Count me in."

───────────────