CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR: DUSTIN,
YOU'RE A GENIUS!

     EXPECTING TO BE QUESTIONED at the police station, the group of teenagers sighed in relief, knowing that they had successfully driven the police away from Eddie Munson

EXPECTING TO BE QUESTIONED at the police station, the group of teenagers sighed in relief, knowing that they had successfully driven the police away from Eddie Munson. However, in a sudden change of plans, they were shocked to find that the officers instead brought them straight to Mike Wheeler's house. For some odd reason, whenever they were in trouble, the group of friends would always be at the Wheeler's house. It had been that way for three years now.

"Wait, why are we at my house?" Mike Wheeler asked the officer from the back seat of his car.

"You'll see," Officer Callaghan replied, clicking his seatbelt off. "Come on, let's go."

As they entered into the Wheeler's living room, the five teenagers were upset to find that most of their parents were standing there with fear-stricken expressions. All except for Cassie and Max's parents, of course. Without a word, the group sat down on the large couch in front of the officers as they began to question them.

"What exactly were you all doing at the lake?" Officer Powell began, pulling out a small notebook and a pen.

"Uh..." Dustin trailed off, trying to make up the best excuse he could. "We were just going for a walk."

"A walk?" Officer Callaghan asked, lifting an eyebrow. "At 9:00 PM? To the lake?"

"We were gonna take a little swim," Dustin explained further, his voice squeaking. "Little night swim."

"Dusty," Mrs. Henderson called, shaking her head. "Someone was just murdered there."

"Obviously, we didn't realize that until we got there, Mrs. Henderson," Mike Wheeler cut in, shrugging lightly. "That's why we didn't swim."

"And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim, Mike?" Mrs. Wheeler asked her son, her tone filled with worry.

"No," Mike answered.

"Yes," Dustin answered.

Eyes widening, the group looked around at each other in shock. They hadn't had time to prepare their story straight, so their answers were clearly all over the place.

"We're not sure," Cassie Harrington finally answered, looking back at Officer Powell. "Nancy was there with us, so was my brother, Steve, but then they left. That's when you guys came."

"Right," Max Mayfield agreed from beside her. "Then they dared me to say what I said about the killer."

"Oh, yeah," Lucas Sinclair laughed, doing his best to lighten the mood. "Yeah, we did."

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?" Officer Powell asked.

"That psycho freak killer?" Dustin replied, his face contorting in disgust. "God, no."