CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: A WALK
THROUGH THE UNDERGROUND

TAKING A SHARP RIGHT TURN OFF of Cornwallis Road, Max Mayfield clenched the steering wheel in her fists — focusing her eyes on the road ahead

TAKING A SHARP RIGHT TURN OFF of Cornwallis Road, Max Mayfield clenched the steering wheel in her fists — focusing her eyes on the road ahead. Thumping her knee up and down nervously, Cassie Harrington watched from the passenger seat as Max pressed her foot harder on the gas pedal.

Taking a deep breath, Cassie informed the girl, "Okay, then you'll take a left-"

Before she could finish, Max already began turning the wheel; sending the car abruptly to the left as the force pushed the kids to the right.

"Jesus," Mike whispered under his breath as he grasped onto the large tank of gasoline that made slushing noises with each movement. "Take it easy."

"Nancy?" A voice questioned in reply.

With confusion plastered on his face, Mike Wheeler furrowed his eyebrows at the elder boy. He was obviously delusional. With a busted lip, a bleeding forehead, a broken nose, and two bruised eyebrows, the kids were surprised he was still functioning.

"Mhmm," Steve groaned as he lifted his hand to his face.

Noticing this, Dustin Henderson quickly pulled his hand away, speaking, "No, don't touch it. Hey, buddy, shhhhhhhhh,"

Steve blicked a few times, "Huh?"

"It's okay, you put up a good fight," Dustin continued. "He kicked your ass but you put up a good fight. It's okay."

From the front of the car, Max turned to Cassie and asked, "Where to next?"

"You're gonna keep straight for a half mile," Cassie informed, her eyes falling onto the map in front of her. "Then, uh...make a left onto Mount Sinai."

"Got it,"

Suddenly, a raspy voice spoke from behind the two girls, "What's going on?"

Biting her lip, Cassie turned to face her brother, her blue eyes filled with guilt and worry. Blinking a few times, Steve's gaze fell on Max, whose eyes filled with the same expression. Letting out a few laughs, the boy suddenly went into panic, "Wo-ah, oh my god."

"Steve, just relax, she's driven before," Dustin assured him.

Mike scoffed, "Yeah, in a parking lot."

"That counts!" Lucas defended.

Switching her gaze from her own brother to her red-haired friend, Cassie leaned over to the girl and whispered, "Step on it."

Without hesitation, Max slammed her foot on the gas, shooting them forward with a zoom. As the engine roared, Steve Harrington's voice grew louder, "Woah, woah, woah, woah, what's going on? Oh my god! No!"