Any Old Day

The  image above will refer to the ring later in the chapter. Thank you to @Crystalivy90 for letting me use the pic!

~(Y/N)'s POV~

I'm your normal, everyday high school senior. As much as I hate to admit it, I have a love/hate relationship with...literally everything. There are two constants however: my fascination with precious gems and my undeniable love for everything horror-related and supernatural. I get teased a lot by other people because I'm into the macabre. I've been called some names before..."emo", "goth", even something as terrible as "cutter". Yeah, not really the nicest high school...despite that, though, I'm a pretty positive person!

Well...maybe I'm not you're everyday teenager. I mean, I really don't know that many teenagers who actively avoid being at home. My home life is pretty, um...unconventional? It's just not your normal family, I guess. My mother is a spiritual nut case who thinks alcohol solves all problems. My dad...well, your guess is as good as mine as to what he is besides a deadbeat. I've never met him and I doubt I ever will. My stepdad, Cole, is actually really cool.

"(Y/N)? (Y/N)..? (Y/N)!" I jerked up and looked at my best, and only, female friend. "Hey, what's up, Dani?" The dirty blonde rolled her forest green eyes, sitting beside me. "You spaced out through Economics. Even Professor Deepthroat noticed." I snickered at the nickname she'd given Prof. Deanroat. It wasn't like she was the only one that used it, but it was just funny from someone as sweet and cute as her. I'll admit, she's definitely beautiful. She was a short, petite girl with long hair and freckles dotting her face pale face.

"So, what's on your mind now, huh?" she said, pulling out her phone. "Pretending I'm the main character in a shitty fanfiction." Dani nodded and continued scrolling on her phone. "Hey, nerds," Davin said as he entered, his football jersey in his hand. Davin was Dani's younger brother, and the soon-to-be captain of the football team. "Why are you here? This is a senior class, Dav," Dani said, propping her head on her hand.

"Because I invited him, bitch," Zain said. Zain was the current captain of the football team, and currently salty about his girlfriend, Karlee, dumping him. Zain's cousin, Jaxin, walked in behind him, sending a wave my way. "Oh shut it, virgin," Dani said, glaring. I reiterate- Dani's a sweet girl, she just has an intolerance for bullshit and bullies. "Guys, can you, like, not? I'm trying to be the main character in a bad fanfic!" Jaxin chuckled and walked over, pulling a chair next to me.

He was a lean, mixed guy with dark chocolate eyes and a darker complexion. Zain was Caucasian and more muscular than his cousin. He was also a little bit of a bully. He'd push people around and occasionally get in fist fights, but nothing too serious. Jaxin, on the other hand, was a preppy nerd who couldn't give two flying fucks about sports. He was the debate team captain and the vice president of the student council.

"So, uh, (Y/N)?" Davin said, walking in front of me. I looked up and saw a slight red tint on his pale cheeks. "There's a new horror movie coming out tonight...would you maybe wanna come see it with me?" I smiled and nodded, taking any chance to get away from my house. "That sounds awesome! I just need to stop by the ATM before we-" "No, I'll pay!" Davin said, smiling, "since I asked, after all."

Dani giggled and nudged my shoulder. "Aww, isn't my baby bro such a gentleman?" Jaxin reached into his bag and pulled out two movie tickets. "It's funny you ask them, Davin. Cuz I bought tickets for me and (Y/N) online for the horror movie." "You did?" I asked. The two guys seemed to stare intensely at each other before the professor walked back in. "Ah, I see your awake, Laker," he said, locking eyes with me.

"Then clearly you're not blind," I fired back politely. He chuckled and sat at his desk, pulling out a newspaper and sipping on his newly bought coffee. Prof. Deanroat was an older guy, and reminded me a lot of my stepdad. He valued humor over politeness and would let you do almost anything if you could back it up. He also hated math, even though he was an economics teacher. "What was today's lesson on, sir?" "How the government and small businesses are related in the-"

"Okay, gross." The man chuckled and took a sip, going back to reading. "So, (Y/N), who are you going with?" Jaxin asked. "Well, Davin did ask first, but you already have the tickets..." "Why don't we all go? I can invite Kar...uh...never mind on the last part," Zain said, crossing his arms over his chest. Clearly the breakup affected him. "Good idea, meathead! We'll all go!" Dani said, smiling proudly. So cute, oh my fucking god.

"Well, we should get going before we're late, huh?" We all walked to the parking lot and filed into our cars. I ended up giving Jaxin a ride since Zain wanted to stay behind a little longer. "Hey, uh, Thys? (Like Amethyst)" He said, fiddling with his hands as I started the drive. It was the nickname he gave me when he saw my Amethyst dreamcatcher I made. I hummed in response. "I, uh, bought you something. Think of it as my gift for graduation early."

I parked in a space towards the front, turning to Jaxin. He had a small, red velvet box he handed to me. I opened it and gasped. It was a golden ring with a black flower in the center, blood red outlining the tips of the petals. (Refer to the image at the top!)"This is beautiful, Jaxin...thank you!" I said, hugging him as best I could over the center console. He hugged back and we exited the car. I slipped the ring onto my middle finger and pushed my hand back to look at it. "It's a black Dahlia flower, like the actress." I snickered and nudged his side.

"Let's get going before Zain flips his lid," I said, walking ahead of Jaxin. We got to the front and walked inside after either buying or showing our tickets. I noticed a stray puppy wandering around outside and excused myself to go see it. I didn't really have a preference for baby animals, but this one had a leash attached, so I thought someone lost it. I walked down the alley where I heard a puppy barking. It was surprisingly dark in the alley, despite being only around 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Suddenly, the puppy yelped and was thrown at my feet, a bloody bone sticking through it's chest. And not a puppy's bone, but a human bone. "What's the matter, kid? Never seen a bone before?" a voice said from the darkness. I saw a glowing red target in front of me, which was pretty damn weird. "I think they would be a great new playing for Boss, what about you, Dust?" "Sure, let's just go," another voice said, sounding tired. The last thing I remember were two glowing white smiles before it all faded to black...

A/N: I remastered this chapter! Stay tuned because I'll be updating the next chapter soon as well! Thank you to @zNjghtmxre_  for helping me stay motivated!

Date: 7/21/22 19:40

Word Count: 1232