Slow Morning

Dust plopped his boney ass down on one of the barstools at the kitchen bar, holding his hooded skull against the table. Horror, wearing an off-white apron at the stove, only chuckled in response. He seemed to only notice me after a few moments and gave me a warm smile. "Mornin', (Y/N)...nice slippers." I smiled and sat by Dust, throwing my leg leg over my right and holding Dolly securely in my lap. "Thanks, stole them from Nightmare. What's cookin'?" Horror smiled and held up a package of bacon, half-full. "Bacon...an' waffles an' eggs. Eggs are quicker...an' I like usin' tha bacon grease ta...cook 'em in, ya know? Makes 'em real tasty..." I nodded, smiling calmly. It was nice to be in the castle with at least most of Nightmare's old group.

Despite both the alliance and Dream vowing to have rooms at the Stars' base for Nightmare and Killer- considering Dust and Horror had defected, they already had their own rooms- the group was much more fond of staying here, where it was familiar. I couldn't blame them really; the castle was large and had all the expensive amenities that someone could wish for. Dust hummed, picking his head up from the counter as Horror handed him an energy drink. "Thanks..." "Mhm, ya looked real tired...not sleep good?" Dust chuckled quietly, saying that there was a human laying on his sternum all night. At her mention, I nudged Dolly softly in hopes of waking her for breakfast. "Speaking of Dolly, how was she for you both?"

Horror's smile widened and his red iris seemed to glow fondly as he spoke. "She was a lil angel, such a good kid...we played cards an' stuff...video games too...an' then we watched TV with snacks an' dinner on tha couch...'fore they both fell asleep, heh...I cleaned up but I didn't have tha heart ta move em...They were just too damn cute." Dust grumbled under his breath, a soft lavender glow showing in the otherwise blackness of his hood. "I had fun, definitely wouldn't...mind watchin' her again fer tha Boss." I nodded, looking down at Dolly just as she yawned and stretched her limbs. Horror smiled and poured a glass of apple juice for her. "(Y/N), drink?" "Mm, apple juice too, please?"

Horror nodded and poured a second glass, a larger one, and set them both down behind me on the bar's countertop. Dolly sat straight, rubbing the balls of her hands on her eyes. "Mmmm..." "Good morning to you, too, Dolly." She gave me a tired smile, squinting from the bright light. "Moooorninggg..." Dust sat up and turned around to have his back to the counter like I did, tipping his head enough that his face could be seen. Aw, he was even smiling! "Hey kiddo...welcome to the waking world. Sleep well?" She nodded slowly, leaning back against my chest tiredly. "So sleeeepyyyy..." Horror chuckled and started working on the eggs. "Yeah, betcha are...too sleepy fer breakfast?" 

Dolly perked up, turning her head to face Horror. "I'm never too sleepy for food!" Horror laughed, practically beaming. "You an' me both!" The atmosphere was so calm and relaxed, and even the normally somewhat chilly castle was warmer. At the back of my mind, the thought of where Nightmare and Killer were started to bug me. Why was Nightmare so secretive about it? Why was he still gone? I shook my head and quickly tuned back in to Horror and Dolly talking about their favorite sweets. "-but I also really like ice cream!" Horror nodded in consideration, something small and playful. "Well, I like pecans. Praline pecans." "What are those?" "Well, they're pecans...candied in brown sugar. I love 'em."

"Ooh, that sounds good!" Horror nodded, clearly enjoying Dolly's energy and enthusiasm. He started plating breakfast and bringing it over, sitting beside me with his own plate. He glanced at me and offered one of his large hands to me. "Ya mind if I hold her in m' lap fer breakfast? Might be easier fer ya ta eat...an' I don't mind waitin' a lil ta eat..." I smiled and nodded, carefully passing Dolly over into Horror's lap. She rested the back of her head on his ribs, smiling up at him happily. The two seemed so close already; it wasn't hard to assume that Horror was actually her adoptive father. As if hearing my thoughts, Dolly spoke up quietly. "Where's mister dad?" 

Dust chuckled quietly, swallowing the bite of food in his mouth. "Mister dad, huh..?" "Well- yeah! I still don't really know what to call him, but mister dad feels right for now!" Horror stroked her hair gently, his voice baritone and soft as per usual. "Dunno...prolly doin' somethin' really important...ya miss him?" "A little, yeah. He makes me feel safe!" "You could ask (Y/N)," Dust said, sipping his energy drink. "Why me, exactly?" "Dunno...my bro says you know more about him than either of you let on. Papyrus isn't usually wrong about that stuff...he knows things." Horror asked Dust is he took his pills, resulting in a groan-mumble and Dust shuffling out of the kitchen. "(Y/N)..? Do you know where mister dad is..?" "Ah- no, I don't...sorry, Dolly."

Dolly just shrugged and started talking about how much she liked Nightmare, Horror prompting her for answers to keep her occupied. Dust returned a few minutes later, rubbing his throat. "Hate those damn things...make me feel sick." "Your pills, I guess?" Dust nodded, taking another sip of his energy drink. "Boss made me go to a shrink, they put me on this...shit. I only take it to keep myself...me. I don't like taking pills, feels weird and wrong...but you know, for Boss, I'd do it. He doesn't need me being difficult when he's got other shit to worry about." I didn't prompt further, rather just going back to my absolutely delicious breakfast. Horror and Dolly continued talking and eating, seeming to be happy in their own little world together.

As Horror got up to wash dishes with Dolly perched on his shoulders, Killer walked in with his hands casually in the pockets of his jacket. He grinned in my direction, his expression not giving anything away. "Morning, fellas!" Dust grumbled and flipped Killer off, muttering under his breath about how annoying the latter was. Horror just gave him a small smile and wave, whereas Dolly greeted him with an excited tone. "Hi mister Killer! Hi!" Killer beamed and walked over, taking the small human from Horror and holding her in his arms. 

"Hey! Having fun with the big guy?" Dolly nodded, starting to tell Killer all about last night and this morning. The skeleton ended up sitting down and holding her as she spoke, hanging onto every word. When Killer went to speak, Dust instantly interrupted him. "Where's Boss?" Killer sighed, sticking his tongue out at Dust. "Why would you assume I know?" "Because you're up his ass twenty-four-seven?" I snorted, nodding along with Dust. "That's true, it's almost like you're daaaatiiiing~" Killer's cheeks turned a light red before he turned away with a scoff. "He's in the basement, doing you know what right now- so we gotta keep Dolly and (Y/N) up here." "Wait- me too?"

Horror sighed and nodded, his smile gone from his face. He seemed to think harder, trying to word what he needed to say. The other two gave him time instead of interjecting, looking and waiting patiently. "I...Boss's got stuff he ain't wantcha ta see...an' all we can do is follow orders, yeah..?" I had so many questions, so much was boiling inside me but...but I knew there was no use in arguing with three skilled murderers. I nodded and stood up, having finished my food. I brought my plate to the sink, where Horror quickly took it from me and started washing it. "I got it fer ya...why don'tcha go watch tha T.V. with...Dust an' Dolly?" 

Killer pouted, crossing his arms like a child. "Well, I wanna go!" 'Well ya gotta eat first...no skippin' meals." Killer groaned but agreed, letting Dolly walk over and take my hand. She eagerly led me back to the living room, Dust behind us silently. It was- honestly nerve-wracking to have him following that way, just silently...I nearly sat down on the couch but sighed, rolling my eyes. "...what's wrong, (Y/N)?" "I left my phone upstairs; I'll be right back..." Dust nodded, sitting down with Dolly and turning on the television. I made my way out somewhat quickly, heading back up to Nightmare's bedroom; which was thankfully unlocked.

I walked in and noticed that everything had been cleaned again...had Nightmare already come back to clean? It had to have been him, nobody else was in the manor aside from the skeletons downstairs and...well, it could be Killer but it's- obviously not. Before I could grab my cellphone, something fell in the bathroom. Every hair on my neck stood up before I heard some vaguely familiar cursing. "I-...Cross?" "Shit-" Cross peeked out, smiling somewhat sheepishly. "Hey, (Y/N)-! Sorry, I was, uh- putting something Killer stole back and-" "And you decided to clean the room?" "I...how would you know it was cleaned?" "I'm...dating Nightmare-? I thought that was obvious, Cross." "...oh yeah that does make sense."

Date Completed: 3/5/24 - 03:09

Word Count: 1538