Recovery

~(Y/N)'s POV~

I watched my dashing boyfriend leave the room, his figure still the slightest bit blurry. Nightmare...what an odd thing for someone to name their child. And so false. He was like a dream come true. Well aside from- Oh forget it. These monsters all have weird fucking names- Nightmare soon returned, holding Dolly in his arms. Dolly...what a cute name. Nightmare apologized quietly before Killer and Cross barreled into the room, asking if I was okay. Well, Cross was asking. Killer was just staring at everything, trying and failing to speak.

"Damn, you're loud..." "Sorry-" "I'm fucking with you, Cross. But seriously, I'm okay. I'm alive and breathing and being an asshole." Nightmare chuckled, sitting on the bed beside me and smiling. I smiled back and reached for Dolly. "Gimme the kiiiiiiid-" He rolled his eye and gently passed Dolly over, who looked tired and mostly asleep. "Heya kiddo...It's (Y/N)." She smiled, rubbing her eye and yawning tiredly. "Hi (Y/N)...I met uncle Dream..." "Oh, did you now? Do you like your uncle Dream?" "Mhm...he smells like...like summer..." 

She began slowly drifting off in my arms, which was perfectly fine by me. I looked over to Nightmare, my voice a bit quieter. "Uncle Dream, huh?" His smile faltered a moment as he looked down at Dolly. "I...suppose Dream must've taken care of her while I...waited...for you to wake up..," he admitted shamefully. "I don't think it's a bad idea to have her know Dream. He is your brother, even if you don't want him to be." Nightmare sighed and nodded, nuzzling his nose to my cheek affectionately. Killer seemed to finally find his words, his voice uncharacteristically quiet and unsteady.

"I-I'm sorry..." I glanced up at him, his normally target-shaped Soul more of a dripping and fluctuating shape. A small, dull white eye stared at me, shaking itself. I sighed and smiled, chuckling quietly. "You know, dipshit, if I wanted to hear people apologize for stupid things, I'd watch a YouTube apology video. It's fine, okay? Everything's fine and...and I'd just like to relax for a bit." Killer nodded, turning his skull away. I didn't miss the way Cross's hand found itself to Killer's, or how their fingers slowly intertwined. 

"If you two don't mind, could you get...Dream?" The two soon left, giving their Boss an affirmative. Once the door closed, he let out a soft sigh. "I was worried for you, darling." I smiled and kissed his nasal bone, cyan dusting his dark cheeks once again. "It's so sweet of you, Nighty...but I'm okay. I'm an adult, I can care for myself." He sighed, shifting to lay beside me. I leaned back, effectively cuddling with him in the hospital bed. "You're really doing this? Becoming a dad?" "I would rather see to it she finds a nice home...rather than end up with someone like her mother."

"She might've gone to a home where she had two parents." "She did. You're her guardian as much as I am, (Y/N). I...I want to...I would...I would like to raise her...with you. As parents. She's obviously taken a liking to you...and she might even grow to call you her parent. But if nothing more, I want you as another human for her to relate to. She's surrounded by skeleton monsters, who have no genuine clue how humans and their bodies work. You're a human, a lovely one at that. It would do good for her to have you in her life, my darling."

I smiled and chuckled, looking over at him. "You sure like talking, huh?" "Apol-" "Just shut up and kiss me, you weird old octopus." Nightmare smiled gently, leaning over to connect his teeth to my mouth in a soft kiss. This was nice. Being with Nightmare and having Dolly. I truly could say I loved him. He treated me so well, like I was something important to him. And I believed it. I believed I was worth it, that I was amazing and perfect like he said. That I was something both beautiful and handsome and everything else. And I loved him for it.

"You two are so cute!" Dream's voice broke through my thoughts, and apparently our kiss. Nightmare pulled back, covering his mouth in apparent shyness as more cyan grew across his face. A small tint of blush covered my own cheeks as I turned to see Dream, who was smiling patiently. "Heya...Uncle Dream." The positive being's cheeks dusted gold as he chuckled nervously, scratching at his cheek with his index finger. "She, uh, told you that, huh?" "You are her uncle, Dream. Whether either of us want to accept that or not, you are my stupidly yellow twin brother." "Oh Ni- I'm not stupid!" 

I snorted, trying to keep my laughter muted. Nightmare wasn't, considering he laughed so hard the hospital bed shook. Dream crossed his arms and pouted like the oversized toddler he was. "Brother, you're so mean! "Oh come now, Dream. It's not mean it's...uhm...(Y/N), help me-" "Wh- No, don't go to them for help!" "I can and I will-" "(Y/N) pleeeeease-" I snorted, laughing into my hand. These two, I swear. It was like they never grew up! They both seemed a bit more relaxed and peaceful for the time being. That was good. It was exhausting otherwise.

"Anyways, with that out of the way, all we should have to do is wait for you to be cleared and then pay our bill and leave." I immediately felt bad for causing Nightmare to not only panic, but to have to pay for a hospital bill. That was probably pretty expensive..."Right...sorry about that..." "Nonsense, (Y/N), it is of no fault of your own. You were wounded and this was simply the only option." "Yeah! And besides, Nighty's got a soft spot because you're daaaatiiiiing~"

"Shut your mouth, you little-" Nightmare was cut off by a soft knock and the door opening, a human doctor walking in. "Ah, is this...(Y/N)?" "Yep, that's me..," I said, slightly worried it wasn't good news. "Are they alright? Able to go home? Do-" The doctor chuckled. "No need to worry, sir. They will be able to be discharged as soon as their parents come to sign away some paperwork." "My- Why would they need to show up for that? I'm an adult." "True, but you're listed as dependent on their insurance, so they still need to come see you. We've contacted them on your behalf."

Oh shit tits and biscuits. "Well, tough luck, doc." "Excuse me..?" "My dad's not going to be coming. Considering he's, you know, six feet under. I don't even know if my mom pays for the insurance plan anymore anyways-" "I can pay for everything, no insurance needed. There is no need for them to come. Or even know in the first place." The doctor tried to speak, but Dream just touched his arm and shook his head. Nightmare was a stubborn bastard- it was one of the most attractive things about him- and he always got what he wanted. "That...is a bit unfortunate because..." There was a knock at the door. "I think they're here."

Yes, finally, I am back! I'm sorry for such a long wait- I'll try to get back into my habit of writing soon! It's soon my third year of college and I'm super excited! Anyways, thanks for sticking around! 

Love, Haru.

Date: 7/16/23
Word Count: 1225