[60]

after the show with the girls, we had gone backstage, eaten a small cup of celebratory ice cream each, then it was time for me to go. I said bye to Jasmine, Mahogany and Jacob, then they went out to get pizza for themselves and the girls. after they left, I hugged each of the girls goodbye, and Normani pulled a pouty face when I pulled back.

"we're gonna miss you, Lea," Ally said sadly. "It's so much more fun with you on tour."

"yeah, Dinah said. "these girls aren't even fun. and you dance way better than Mila. plus your jokes are better too."

"hey," Camila said to Dinah, frowning. "that's mean. this is bullying, you guys. Lea, you have to stay. she's bullying me."

we laughed, but the reluctance was so thick in the air that I felt like I could cut it in half.

Lauren was the last to hug me. "bye, Lea," she said softly as she pulled me into her arms. "I'm going to miss you so much," she whispered into my hair, squeezing me tight, nuzzling into my neck.

sparks of electricity flew up and down my body. each area of my skin that was touching hers felt like it was burning, burning, burning. it felt like we had stayed like that for hours, but it was just a few seconds.

"I'm going to miss you too," I whispered back as we pulled away.

I hugged Milika, then Clara, and the girls walked with me out to where Jamie had parked the car at the back of the building. before I got into the car, I gave the girls a brief last hug, lingering on Lauren just a second longer before jumping into the passenger side of the car and shutting the door.

"bye!" the girls called, waving as Jamie put the car into drive and began to leave the area. I waved back until they were nothing but tiny specks in the distance, and I sat back, trying to dissolve the pangs in my chest for all of the girls. it was going to be a long time before I would be able to see them again.

"cheer up, kid," Jamie said as he turned onto the main road. the dark night was filled with millions of tiny stars in the sky, and the dim road was lit up by the various car lights and traffic lights. "you're seeing Taylor Swift tomorrow."

I smiled. "yeah," I said. "I am."

I pulled out my phone from my bag to tell Demi we were on our way home, and upon opening my bag I saw a sweater and a beanie sat neatly folded on top of my things. there was also a bracelet peeking out from inside a small unzipped pocket in the bag. they weren't mine. curiously, I began to lift them up when a small note fluttered down into my bag. sneaking a glance at Jamie to make sure he wasn't looking, I reached into the bag to find the note. in the dim light, I unfolded the paper, recognizing the handwriting almost immediately. my heart clenched, both with joy and longing, as I read it.

Dear Lea,

it's going to be a while until we see each other again, so I want to give you this. please, please take care of yourself. you're so precious and beautiful and lovely, and you're the best person I could ask for to tell all of my deepest secrets. I'm giving you this beanie because I thought that out of all of us, you'd look the cutest in them. I have one of these bracelets too, and I thought that it would be cool if we had one each. lastly, if you're feeling sad, and don't want to talk, just put this sweater on and cuddle with it, and remember that I'm there for you always.