[68]

avoiding Lauren and Camila was a lot easier than I expected.

when the girls and I went separate ways after Wango Tango, the only way to reach each other was via text/call as well as the occasional facetime/skype. and you can't force someone to reply to you if they're halfway across the country, right?

when Demi and I got home, we sat down at the dining table with Naya where I told her everything, about me being bi, liking Lauren, and then seeing Lauren kiss Camila. after multiple sympathetic cooing noises and comforting hugs, I was already feeling a little better about the whole situation.

"we have something that might cheer you up, though," Demi said, rubbing my back slowly.

Naya smiled as soon as she realized what Demi meant. "close your eyes!" she said excitedly. "it's a surprise."

I complied, and laid my hands on the table, palms facing upwards. almost immediately after, I felt a piece of paper being placed into my hands.

"open your eyes!" Demi squealed, clapping her hands.

slowly, I did so. I scanned the piece of paper, and a few words jumped out at me.

resort. Malibu. weekend. spa.

"we're going to Malibu beach?!" I gasped, reading the details again.

Naya and Demi were practically beaming over at me. I began to feel the smile take over my face as I launched myself at the two of them, wrapping them in a huge hug. "thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"that's no problem, baby," Demi laughed, petting my hair affectionately.

"we've all been busy lately," Naya explained. "and I think we should have a celebration of your EP and moving back to LA. so we're going to go relax. just the three of us."

"that's not all," Demi said, beginning to lift me off her. "there's another surprise."

I watched excitedly as Demi reached into her bag and pulled out another piece of folded paper.

"this is a surprise for you too, babe, isn't it?" Demi asked, addressing Naya, who agreed.

Demi unfolded the paper partly and turned it over to show a photograph of a small white puppy. it was tiny and couldn't have been more than half a year old.

"is this..." Naya asked, reaching out for the photograph.

"it is, gorgeous," Demi said, watching as Naya's face changed from disbelief to pure, unadulterated happiness.

"is it our new puppy?" I asked, beginning to work out what was happening.

Demi nodded over at me, her eyes shining. "isn't he cute?"

"are you kidding?" I asked, leaning over to see the photo again, another smile growing on my face. "he's adorable! have you named him?"

"no," Demi said, reaching out to hold my hands. "let's think of one together, how does that sound?"

"perfect," I breathed, looking back at the small puppy. "it sounds perfect."

---

after the excitement of everything that evening, I was lying on the floor of my room alone listening to my music on shuffle when I realized that this weekend break was the perfect time to sort out what I was feeling and thinking. plus, it'd give me an excuse to not reply to the girls' messages.

I felt bad doing this. I wasn't mad at the two girls, just hurt, and I didn't want to have to pretend that everything was fine around them. I didn't want to talk to them because it hurt so much. I felt terrible for Ally, Normani and Dinah, though. they hadn't done anything, and presumably they didn't know anything about Camila and Lauren, unless they were helping to cover for them. but I doubted they'd do such a thing, and Ally wasn't the best liar either, so I didn't think they knew.