[38]

as I stepped into the apartment, I fell in love with it. it was just the right size, and although Naya hadn't come here in absolutely ages, everything looked so warm, perfect, cosy. with any luck, maybe Demi could join us soon, and the three of us could stay here and be all warm and fuzzy and fluffy. like before the tours happened and Demi and Naya just got together. somehow that was the most comfortable part of the whole year.

"do you like it?" Naya asked with a small smile on her face as she pushed our suitcases into the sitting room.

"are you kidding?" I spun around, feeling the huge smile on my face. "this place is like a fairytale. and this decor is on point," I added, sliding my finger over the carved flower pot which held a single white rose.

Naya chuckled as she shut the front door. "we could go and get some bits and pieces to make it even nicer. how's that sound?"

"sounds good to me."

the apartment was a pretty good size, with three bedrooms, all with an attached toilet. there was a cute little kitchen with high chairs that spun around in front of the counter. and the sitting room was glorious, with its couches that bounced and the little fireplace on the far right, next to the balcony with its pretty French windows.

we put a Spotify chart playlist on and as the opening notes of Break Free filled the apartment, I got to unpacking while Naya bustled around starting the heating system and checking that everything was in working order.

the rest of the day was pretty relaxed. Naya and I ended up on the couch watching If I Stay, and then she caught up on Real Housewives while I spent some time on twitter talking to people and scrolling through my mentions.

That night, when we went to bed, Naya kissed my forehead and tucked me in (and the double bed was hella comfy). "get plenty of rest, sweetie," she said as she hovered near the door. "don't sleep too late, okay? at least before sunrise."

"you know me too well," I giggled. "thanks, Ny," I said sincerely. "for letting me come with you and all that."

"nonsense, of course I'd want you to come. goodnight, Lea."

"night."

and in all actual fact, I was about to go to sleep early - all the exhaustion had settled in as soon as I got into bed - before my phone rang with my newest ringtone, and I honestly didn't even know why it was so loud.

"SHAKE IT OFF I SHAKE IT OFF I I I SHAKE IT OFF I SHAKE IT OFF I I I SHA-"

I wasn't going to answer, but what if something had happened to the girls or Demi? I rolled over with my eyes still half shut, sighing heavily when I noticed it was 12:29am, and smacked my hand on my bedside blindly in attempts to grab my, as Demi called it, cellular device. the ringtone was still going at a maddeningly loud volume, and I was temporarily blinded when I looked at the caller ID.

Normani??

"hellllo?" I said after unplugging my phone and diving back under the warm covers.

"Lea, I'm so sorry I know it's late but are you in private?"

"Normani of course I am, I literally have no frien-"

"okay good this is really urgent okay I need your help okay"

"what is it?" I was getting more awake now. usually Mani's calls were a) in daytime b) happy and cheerful c) carefree and d) started with her laughing, but this one was so solemn and quiet that it made me worried.

silence.

"Hamilton, spit it out, you're making me worried," I said, throwing off my covers and now wide awake.