[13]

I allowed myself a while to grieve over Katelyn as well as my now non-existent family, but I had to get back to work. I didn't want to rely on people's pity for votes. I wanted them to vote because I was good.

I sang Nightingale that week, dedicating it to Katelyn.

"Lea?" Demi asked one evening when I was watching Glee on Netflix.

"yeah?"

"um, I looked up legal disowning."

"mm?"

"technically, you're not family-less. you'll have to go to court with your mom."

oh yeah. there's that issue.

"cool," I said.

"so you'll be able to remain in the competition until it ends anyway, it takes too long to get to court."

I sighed. I didn't want to go to court. I just wanted to live my dream.

"sure," I told Demi instead. "thanks for looking it up."

"no problem," she leant over and kissed my forehead. she had developed a habit of kissing my forehead or my cheek, and I hadn't had anyone show this much affection since my dad died. it was strange at first, but I liked it now.

Demi's phone rang. "it's Mom," she told me. she snatched it up and flew off the couch. "I'll be back okay, keep watching Glee."

I turned back to the screen, where they were just starting Season 5. I was a bit late. "bit" meaning 17 episodes.

------

"they're here!" Brooke ran up to me excitedly.

"who's here?" I asked. I just got my hair done for the performance tonight, and shook it out a bit to make it feel natural.

"Fifth Harmony!"

holy crap.

as well as being ridiculously obsessed with Demi, I was also a huge fan of Fifth Harmony and I was pretty sure I'd pass out.

keep your cool, I reminded myself.

"why are they here?" I asked.

"performance," Brooke told me. "what are you singing?" she asked.

"22, Taylor Swift," I replied.

"that's going to be amazing," Brooke gushed. she glanced over her shoulder. "I gotta go for wardrobe and performance. I'll see you afterwards?"

"yeah, of course. good luck!" I called after her.

I wandered around for a while, soaking up the chaos. I loved it. I loved how there was always malfunctions and lack of hairspray and dropped bobby pins and scarves on the floor. I loved how it was always yelling and panic and disarray. it made everything more exciting. unless it was you who got the inconvenience. other than that, it was fun to watch.

"hey, Lea," the crew lady came up to me. I found out that her name was Daria.

"Lay-ah," I corrected her. she still struggled with the pronunciation of my name, but most people did. I kept getting called Lee-ah.

"sorry, Lea. I was just wondering if you'd like to meet Fifth Harmony? they're meeting contestants individually," she told me.

oh my god. oh my GOD.

"yeah, sure," I composed myself. "lead the way."

------

"so let me get this right. you, Lea Rochelle Deyes, are a fan of us?"

meeting Fifth Harmony was actually not stressing at all. I didn't panic much. and they were unbelievably sweet.

"yeah, and I'd be dying now if I didn't have time to calm myself down earlier," I said truthfully.

"we're a fan of yours too!! and I'm like that," Camila told me.

"you flipped out wen you met Ed," I reminded her.

"I did," she remembered.

"you know she met Ed?" Ally asked.

"she's a Harmonizer, Ally!" Lauren told her off. "of course she knows."

"yay Harmonizers!" Normani just about pounced on me for a hug.

"NORMANI!" the four other girls pushed her back.

"be gentle!" Dinah reprimanded.

yeah, I also told them about the contact-anxiety thing. that was after Ally latched onto me and I nearly passed out of panic and fangirling, not sure which.

"sorry!" Normani's eyes widened.

after assuring her it was okay and taking a few selfies with Dinah, I had to go.

"have fun! you're gonna slay!" Camila yelled.

"don't tell anyone but you're our favorite!" Dinah whispered loudly.

I was their favorite?!

as soon as I got out of the room and was following Daria to the stage, I started fangirling and making squealy noises.

"compose yourself," Daria laughed as she handed me a microphone. "it's good you're singing a high energy song tonight."

------

A/N:

guys I'm sorry it's so short but I'm trying to update everyday so when summer vacation starts I can actually get this book up and going.

xoxo