[66]

Lea's POV

"guys, it's really hot," Dinah said a little worriedly, raising her voice enough to be heard over the music. "and we haven't been drinking water... I don't want to get sick like Lo and Mila."

the other girls agreed. we'd just had to send Lauren back to the dressing room along with Camila, both of them feeling too unwell to stay out here.

"I don't wanna get sunburnt either," Ally said. "yeah, we better get water and suncream."

"I'll go," I offered. "I have to get my portable charger anyway. you guys need anything else besides water and suncream?"

"can you get my charger too?" Normani said.

"and my snapback?" Dinah said. "it's in my bag."

"oh, mine too!" Normani said, followed quickly by Ally's "and mine!"

"sure," I said, turning around and starting to leave. "the water bottles are in your dressing room, right?"

"yep," Dinah said. "and Ally has a huge bottle of suncream in her bag. thanks, Lea."

the other two girls said their thanks too, and I began to head back to the building. the sun beat down relentlessly as I squinted to keep my eyes from hurting. I was becoming aware of my throat growing dry, and I quickened my pace so I could get to the water as soon as possible. I hoped Lauren and Camila were okay. Camila seemed a bit tired, but when Lauren looked up from the grass in her trance she looked like she'd just seen more than a ghost. it wasn't just the heat that was getting to Lauren, I knew that. there was something else bothering her, and I couldn't help but wonder if it was the talk that she'd gotten from Normani earlier similar to the one I got from Dinah. I wondered if she had told Normani her interest in girls, Camila specifically. I decided I'd wait until later to discuss the talks with her. maybe, if it really was the talk from Normani that was bothering her, I could help her feel better.

soon, the building drew close enough for me to break into a jog and head towards shade. I pulled open the door, ducked into the relief from the sun, and exhaled. I squeezed my eyes shut, then shook my head. I stopped by a water fountain in the middle of a corridor to drink from it, then wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and continued on to the dressing room. with any luck, Camila would let me borrow one of her snapbacks too so the sun wouldn't be as bad outside. I wondered if we had an umbrella to spare, so that we could use it.

I could hear soft murmuring as I drew closer to the girls' dressing room, and figured that Lauren and Camila must be awake. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but they soon fell silent. I turned the handle to the door and pushed it open slightly, ready to ask where the water bottles were. but nothing could have ever prepared me for the sight that greeted my eyes.

Lauren and Camila, awake for sure.

Lauren's hand cupping Camila's face gently, drawing her in. Camila's eyelids shut and Lauren leaning in, her eyes fluttering shut too. Lauren pressing her lips onto Camila's, who leaned deeper into the kiss. Camila, who reached up to hold Lauren's arms, pulling her even closer. Lauren. kissing Camila.

immediately, all thoughts of water and heat were banished as I let go of the door handle, feeling my fingers slip off the sweaty grasp I had on it earlier. all I was suddenly aware of was the pounding of my heart and the short, inefficient breaths my lungs were forced to inhale as I turned from the room and ran. my feet pounded along the hard surface of the ground as I took one step in front of the other, turning this way and that, going deeper into the maze of corridors. I passed by people, their faces a mere blur, as I tried to look for signs leading to the nearest bathroom. locating one to my right and taking a sharp turn, I locked myself into a single cubicle and taking long, deep breaths. then, I let out a shaky, long breath and let the tears cascade down my cheeks, the inky black stage mascara leaving dark trails across my pale skin.