[48]

** I know some of you don't read the authors note, but I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing comments last chapter and I'm so glad that you guys like the trailer! **

-------------------------------------

Lea's POV

everything hurt.

my eyelids felt like lead, they were so heavy that they felt like they were stuck together. I couldn't hold them fully open, and just the teeniest crack made my head throb.

I found that I was in a vehicle, and we were going fast. an ambulance? I didn't know. I was lying on my back, my head was in excruciating pain and there was a horrible pain in my right side and an ache in my chest. I tried to move. I flexed my left fingers, but found that I couldn't move my right hand nor either of my legs. my throat went dry as the possibility of paralysis came into my mind, and I clenched my left fist tightly. I opened my mouth in attempt to speak, but all that came out was a dry, strangled croak. my head pounded.

"Lea?" an unfamiliar female voice sounded. "are you awake, honey?"

I cautiously moved my left hand slightly, and I heard the lady sigh in relief. "good girl. hang in there, we're in an ambulance getting you to the hospital, alright? don't move, and stay calm, sweetie, you'll be okay in no time."

I wanted to talk to her. to ask her about Demi and Naya. were they okay? were they awake? what happened? and my mother. what happened to her? but as I tried to form the words, all my throat emitted was a nasal squeak followed by my groan of annoyance.

"don't strain your throat, honey. it's going to be okay. if you're feeling anything wrong, lift your hand, alright?" the lady took my left hand and rubbed it comfortingly, and I tried not to think about the pain I was in. instead I focused on the little orbs of light that danced around when I closed my eyes.

things were a little fuzzy. I remembered the wild highway chase, and then the scream and the squeal of tires. then I was thrown to my right violently and then I couldn't remember anything after that. I took a shaky breath, feeling terrified at just the thought of the accident we'd just been in. well, at least I could form coherent thoughts and remember what happened, right? things couldn't be that bad then. I was worried now about my legs and my right arm, which rendered me 3/4 limbs useless as for now. was I going to need an operation? I have a phobia of needles. this won't be fun and I don't want to deal with the aftermath of the surgery.

the ambulance pulled to a stop, and a door slammed. there was rustling as the lady stood up and the rear doors opened. I struggled to open one eye to peer out at the blinding sunlight that made my head pound. my head was getting worse and I was so tired, and all I wanted to do was curl up in bed and go to sleep.

"come on, honey, let's get you inside."

---

I must have given in to my tiredness at some point between getting out of the ambulance and being wheeled into the hospital, because when I next woke up, I was in a hospital bed with a blanket this time, and my head didn't feel as bad now although I felt some sort of pressure on it. there was a faint beep of what I assumed was a heart monitor, and the room smelt faintly of disinfectant. still with my eyes closed, I flexed my left hand slowly and lifted it up slightly. I tried my right hand. although it was consciously harder, I could move all of my fingers, clench into a fist and lift it up as well. then I tested my legs, but I couldn't move them at all. I shifted my body slightly, just to make sure that everything else was okay. apart from a pinch of sharp pain in the same place on my right side, I could feel the rest of my body, so I assumed that my nerves and spine were okay and I wasn't completely paralyzed.