Chapter 43

From: Unknown

Hi, is this niall ?

To: Unknown

who's asking?

From: Unknown

Uh well my name is Louis and I saw your roommate ad on craigslist , I was wondering if I could drop by sometime today? Or when's vet you're free is fine

From: Unknown

*whenever. Fucking autocorrect

From: Unknown

Unless you've already found a roommate

From: Unknown

Then I'm sorry for bothering you

I stare at the string of messages for a minute, frozen in my spot on my couch. Suddenly finding something to watch on Netflix on this fine Saturday afternoon is the least important thing in the world - I can't believe he did it. He actually fucking did it.

Shifting in my seat out of anger, I dial the number of the person I definitely know and the person I'm definitely going to kill when I see them next. I will literally slice his body with a butter knife.

"Hey N-"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I cut him off as soon as he starts speaking, "What kind of a person puts someone else's apartment on fucking Craigslist?"

"Hey, relax," Seth says, raising his voice a little. He's not even denying that he did it, we both know no one is big enough of an idiot to do that. Except him. "First of all, I didn't put your apartment on sale on Craigslist. I just wrote you're looking for a roommate, you're welcome."

"I'm welcome?" I raise my voice as well, "What makes you think you did me a favor? I can't- I can't have a fucking roommate, I barely had enough room for my girlfriend when she lived with me!"

"Yeah, and now that she's gone, you're dealing with it by sobering up once a week." He pauses, to see if I have anything to say to that - I don't know if I hate him or myself for staying quiet. "And it wouldn't even be once a week if I wasn't there to take the bottle away from you, so I could've either gotten you a roommate to keep you company, or sent you to goddamn rehab. So yes, Niall, you are fucking welcome."

I sigh at his tone and slump back in the couch, with my free hand on my temple. I'd love nothing more than to argue with him, but I already know it wouldn't get me anywhere. It just so happened that I was drunk most of the times he came over to see me, and now he thinks I have a 'problem'. I can't get mad at him for worrying, though, I probably wouldn't have been sober at any point during the past two weeks if it wasn't for him.

"Fine," I sigh again, giving in at last. "What did you even put in the ad? 'Cause this guy texted me a few minutes ago-"

"Already?" Seth cuts in, his voice doing a complete 180, going from angry to elated. "I just put the ad this morning! Wow!"

I roll my eyes at his overly excited tone, deciding to speak before he pisses me off again. "Just tell me what I need to know."

"Okay, well, you're looking for someone from your university, not necessarily your field, but, you know, a UIC student. Um, they get to sleep on the couch and use everything in the apartment, but share half of the rent and bills with you."