Chapter 1

I sigh in frustration as I hear my phone ringing in the living room, and almost trip over my shoe laces as I make my way there. I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the apartment in peace; with the kind of friends I have, of course I wouldn't.

"Hello?" I sigh again as I answer the phone, and as expected, hear loud music in the background.

"Niall," My best friend Seth slurs into the speaker, and I immediately nod to myself; he's drunk out of his mind. What was I expecting though, him to be sober at midnight during a party? Funny. "You coming?"

"Nah, I'll pass tonight." I nod again as I remember the party last weekend. As tempting as going back to the frat house sounded, I really don't need headaches all weekend and aspirins throughout the whole week.

"Oh, come on," He shouts, "Everyone's here! Even Leanne's friends dragged her here because of you, you don't want to waste her time!"

I look up at my ceiling, genuinely considering his offer, purely because of Leanne, the girl I've been hanging out with for a couple of months. But as I remember waking up on the bathroom floor last Saturday, I start shaking my head. "Nope, I'm telling you, I'll pass. Tell Leanne I'm sorry."

"But it's Friday night," He says after a few seconds of silence, "Friday night! What are you even gonna do tonight?"

"I know it's a bit irrational, but I think I'm gonna sleep til morning."

"Yeah, right." I hate how he can see through me; even over the phone while he's wasted. "You're probably gonna buy pizza and watch reruns of fucking Friends."

Nailed it. "No," I say, blinking a couple times as I think of an answer. "I'm gonna watch Dawson's Creek."

"I don't understand." I can almost see him shaking his head. "How did you even get in the fraternity? I swear we tortured you more than the other geeks."

I smile to myself, "Reverse psychology, my friend. See you tomorrow." I really was planning to go back to the frat house for the weekend. Staying alone in my flat didn't sound as appealing as laughing at my hungover friends when they need 15 minutes to pull their pants on properly.

I look around my apartment as I end the call, before walking out rather excitedly. Seth wasn't entirely wrong when he guessed what I'd be doing tonight. One of the things I love most about Chicago, is that nearly every pizza place is open 24/7. I swear I had tears in my eyes when I first found out about it.

The thing I like least though, is that I probably live in the creepiest part of the city. Even on a Friday night, I see no one as I walk out of my building. I grip my jacket closer to my face and look around - something I do every time I go out at this hour - and start walking at a fast pace. Pizza is the only thing I'd ever leave my flat for at half past twelve in the morning.

Oh, and not to mention the blasted alleyway I have to go through so I'd get to the nearest pizza place quicker. The thought of it alone makes me shiver, but I don't have a choice if I want to be back home in less than an hour.

I dig through my pockets and try untangling my headphones faster, I can already see the dumpster which is just next to the entrance of the alleyway, meaning I'm about a minute away from it. If any of my friends saw me like this, they wouldn't forget about it until the day that I die, but I can't really care less. My heart would probably burst out of my chest if I walked through the small street without having anything to concentrate on except for the sounds coming from around me. I always feel like I'm in a horror movie.

As I place the tiny earbuds in my ears, I immediately put all of the songs on shuffle. The first one I hear is unfamiliar at first, but I don't remember having a song that starts with a scream..? Hm, must be one of those Seth had asked me to download for him. The only thing I don't like about the guy is his taste in music. Seriously, what kind of a-