Chapter 3

"I can't believe you're eating pizza in the middle of the street."

"If you'd known me for longer than just one hour, you wouldn't be surprised," I mumble through a mouthful of food, and take the last slice from the box. I wasn't expecting her to not find it weird; no one has gotten used to me eating in public. Not even my best mates.

I glance at Angel, to see a half smile on her lips as she lightly shakes her head. "You couldn't just wait to come home and eat it there?"

"No, I'd have to reheat it," I reply with a shrug, scanning the sidewalk in search of a trash can. "It's not as good when it's reheated."

I hear her sigh, "Makes sense."

A chuckle of disbelief leaves my mouth as I shake my head; okay, compared to how much she talked while we were in the pizza place, this is great. I don't have to drag the words out of her, and we're even making small talk. Joking, even.

But when it comes to how much I got to know her, I'm still stuck at three basic facts. It astonishes me that I would care this much about getting to know a random girl I met in the street, but I guess it's her personality that's keeping me interested.

"So," I begin after swallowing everything, and quickly jogging to the nearest bin to throw the pizza box. "Where do you live? I mean, I know we took the longer way but we've been walking for like fifteen minutes." I don't want to add that I'm about 99% sure that I can't find my way home. The night just keeps getting more interesting.

"My building's one block away." Her voice is so quiet and passive, I literally have to lean toward her so I'd hear her. But I guess it's because of the semi-crowded street; I should have expected her to live in the more urban area of the city.

"Mhm," I mumble, stuffing my hands into my pockets. I use that as a chance to check if my phone is still okay; it's not exactly resistant to being repeatedly smacked against the asphalt. "Do you live with anybody?"

I was dumb to think she wouldn't see through me; as I look up from the screen of my phone, she has a small, knowing smile on her face. Guess I'll have to be more indirect.

"Not really," Is all she says, with a completely straight face. Almost like she's expecting me to not find her answer weird. Which I do.

"What do you mean, not really?" I frown, not taking my eyes off of her, while she doesn't take her eyes off the sidewalk in front of her.

"I mean, not really."

This time I look ahead of myself too; what the hell does that even mean? Either you live with someone, or not. There can't be an in-between sort of thing.

"Okay," I say slowly, after a minute of trying to figure out how to... figure her out. "And who do you 'not really' live with?"

"You ask a lot of questions, you know." I bet that's not the last time she's going to say that to me tonight.

"I'm only curious," I repeat my excuse from before, a growing smile on my face as I turn my head to look at her again. "You can ask anything you'd like, too."

Angel nods slowly, "Good to know."

"Come on, seriously," I smile as she starts walking around the corner, though I stop there and stand under the street light, watching her. "This is our only night. Chances of us meeting again are like 1:1000."

"You wanna know something?" I'm surprised as she slows down, and eventually turns to face me. "That's a good thing."

I can't help but roll my eyes, "Yeah, because I ask a lot of questions?"