Chapter 55

"You okay?" I'm losing count of how many times I've said that in a span of 24 hours.

She's still looking at the glass of water in her hands; her face is still pale and her hands are still shaking, but it can't compare to ten minutes ago. She freaked me the fuck out ten minutes ago.

"Niall." Freya looks up at me, "The man that molested me, made me give up my baby for adoption and wiped the floor with me for years is sitting in the other room. Take a guess."

I leave my spot at a kitchen counter and walk over to her, crouching down in front of her. "You really scared me, you know that?" I take the glass from her hands and place it on the table, so I can take her hands, "Never have I seen you like that. And never do I want to see you like that again."

"Then let's get the fuck out of here, I don't know why we didn't run for the hills as soon as-"

"Freya, Freya," I grip her wrists, "He's here, seven months too early. There's an IV bag attached to him and a police officer watching over him. Come on, you're smart, you know something's going on."

She keeps looking at me, her tear-stained face saddening me but I can't give in to it; I for one, really want to know what's happening. 'Cause if the reason he'd been released from prison isn't good enough, at least there's a police officer I can complain to. And considering my feelings toward Craig, that's most likely what will be happening.

"Niall, what do you think is going on?" Freya sighs, shaking her head, "He-he probably got some sort of harmless infection and pulled strings to get out of jail because of it."

"I've not seen people look like that when they get an infe-"

"Whatever, it doesn't have to be an infection," She says in a hushed tone, getting a little aggressive again. "The point is that he got out, and if we don't leave while that make-believe officer is keeping him busy he's going to find us, and he might as well kill me this time. And you, if you're at the wrong place in the wrong time."

"Do you really think the whole thing is that corrupt?"

"Yes! You don't know him like I do, as a matter of fact, we're lucky if they're waiting for us with guns at the doorway!"

I widen my eyes, completely lost at this point. "How does that make us lucky?"

"Because they could've just come in here and killed us on the spot ten minutes ago!"

"Okay, you're fucking out of your mind, what the fuck did I give you?" I frown to myself, checking the name of the meds I gave her- yep, no mistake there, I'd definitely given her half of a Valium pill to calm her down. Maybe she's allergic to those.

"Just think about it for a little, don't you see they-"

"You think about it for a little, what do you think this is? A far fetched crime movie?" I shake my head at her when she stays quiet, "Freya, if you really are right and they're waiting for us with guns I'm fucking sorry you're gonna die because of me, okay? I'm apologizing in advance, I'm sorry you're about to die, but I want to know what the fuck is happening."

"Why do you even want t-"

"Because it's him!" This time it's me yelling in whispers, "He's someone who deserves life in prison yet there he is, comfortably sitting in this three hundred grand apartment, doing God knows what when he should be pushing a fucking rock up a hill in hell! Of course I want to know!"

Well, I succeeded in making her less scared; now she looks weirded out. "Niall, I'm telling you, for your- our safety-"

"Baby, if we leave now, we'll both have to live knowing he's free and out there and not knowing why. Do you want that? Hm? Do you wanna spend the rest of your life being scared of him finding you? Do you want both of us to live like that until it either drives us apart, or makes us move to some cave in Uzbekistan where he can't find us?"