Springtime Walks (Kristoph Gavin x Daughter! Reader)

Springtime Walks (Kristoph Gavin x Daughter! Reader) PLATONIC

A/N: Kristoph is not a murderer in this one. AU!

Requested by ShadowRifter

Your Pov:

I slipped on my flats as I met father at the door. We were going for our family walk and the weather was absolutely perfect this time of year. Father turned to me. "Grab a coat. I don't need you sick." I sighed and shrugged on a cardigan. "I'm ready to go." Father nodded and we left the house. We walked down the sidewalk in silence.

The park we took our walks in was only a few minutes away, so there was no need to drive. I took a deep breath and smiled as we entered the park.

The grass had recently been watered and trimmed, crinkling as pets and children ran through it. Couples walked the sidewalks hand in hand, smiling and talking. Father spoke as we walked. "How has your studying been?" I shrugged. "It's been fine. I should be finished on chapter nine tonight." He nodded. "Good. We can't have you falling behind."

As we turned onto one of the more secluded paths, I noticed something lying on the concrete. "Look." Father looked in the direction I was pointing. "Hm. Whatever it is, it must be injured." I left father's side and went over to it. That's when I saw what is was.

It was a small bird. A nightingale.

Father stood behind me. "Its wing looks broken. Hm..." I cupped my hands and rested them by the bird. It slow got onto its feet and hopped into my hands before settling again. I stood. "Maybe...we should take care of it until it gets better." Father sighed. "You're too kind for your own good, my dear. Let's get them to the vet."

...

We took the bird to the vet and they were able to reset the bird's wing. They left the bird in our care and gave us a few things for it.

When we returned home, I set up the hanging cage and added some food and water before placing the bird inside. It sat on the perch, staring at me. Then, it started to chirp and sing. Father entered the room. "Ah, it's a very vocal creature, isn't it?" I smiled. "Yes. And it's quite beautiful too. Did the vet say if it was male or female?"

Father grabbed the papers from the table. "According to this, it's a female." Then, he interrupted me before I could speak. "And I won't let you name her. We're just ensuring her health." I nodded. "I know. I was just...curious."

...

Against my father's statement, I gave the bird a name anyways. I started calling her 'Asteria'. It was a fitting name as it was the name of the goddess of justice, also known as the "crying fairy". Asteria was a very affectionate bird and I often found her perched on my father's shoulder as he worked in his study.

He declined his attachment to her, claiming that she liked to follow him around. But I saw through it. Sometimes I'd catch him talking to her and she'd coo and nod along.

But then came time to let her go.

...

Father and I stood outside, holding the cage. I looked at father. "Do we have to?" He nodded. "Yes. She's meant for the wild." I opened the door on the cage, but Asteria didn't move. She looked at both of us curiously. I spoke. "You can go. You're free." But she still didn't move. I looked at father. "What now?"

He sighed. "I believe this is a sign. If she refuses to go back, then she'll stay with us until she wants to. We'll need a name to call her." I smiled sheepishly. "Well...I already gave her a name. It's...Asteria." He hummed. "It's perfect." Then, he picked up the cage.

"Come now. It's getting quite cold."

I smiled as I watched him carry Asteria inside. I was happy to see her stay. Now it would be Asteria, father, and I.

And I couldn't contain my excitement.