Chapter 5 Sorting Part 1

After the boat ride all the first years were lined up and they were taken to the entrance of the Great Hall. Lots of murmuring was going on. Speculations were made on what was going to happen next. Some said they need to pass some sort of written tests to actually get into Hogwarts. If they failed to get respectable marks they would be sent back home the same evening. Needless to say few first years were terrified out of their minds.

Cedric and Lyra too were delighted to finally step their foot on the grounds of Hogwarts. Surprisingly they shared the same boat. More like Cedric made sure they were seated in the same boat since he had promised both his aunt and uncle separately that he'll not let Lyra be all alone.

Lyra followed the line of first years with Cedric and Ernie behind her. Suddenly the line stopped. There stood Aurelia and Ethan right in front of the Great Hall. Almost all the new students fell in love with the black haired beauty right then and there. Aurelia greeted the students with a warm smile. She saw her niece and nephew among the crowd and gave them a motherly smile. Lyra wanted to run into her aunt's arms but held herself back somehow. Ethan stood tall and proud beside his wife. He scrutinized each of the faces and was not surprised to find a few familiar ones there.

"We will start with the house sorting soon enough. Students, you'll follow us right behind this door. There Prof McGonagall will call out your names one by one. The student needs to then sit on the chair at the center of the Hall. Your Prof will put the sorting hat on you. The hat will then announce your house. You will then join your respective house table. Is it clear? Do you have any doubt"? Aurelia explained the entire process to the students. They all mumbled yes mam in chorus. Satisfied with their answers both the adults then took them inside.

The first view of the Great Hall was a moment none of the students were ever going to forget in their lives. The grandeur, the vastness, the huge dining tables and the front where rest of the teachers sat facing the students, every sight was too much. Suddenly someone raised her head and her eyes caught sight of the beautiful ceiling. Soon all the kids started looking upwards in great admiration and wonder. The night sky was filled with thousands of stars. Lyra remembered how her parents said she would specially enjoy looking at the ceiling the most. She now understood their meaning.

Meanwhile Prof McGonagall started with the roll call and one by one each house began gaining new students. "Black, Lyra Black", the Prof suddenly said. Lyra looked at her aunt to find her eyes already fixed on her. Aurelia tried to give her as much encouragement as she could from far away. She then nodded towards the chair which prompted Lyra to finally step forward. With nervous steps Lyra reached the chair. Cedric too was feeling nervous. He knew Lyra was the bane of his existence but also didn't want her to go to Slytherin. Soon Lyra had the hat on her head. "Ummm another Black.. Quite complicated you are. I smell some aggression, some determination. The spirit of a leader. You'll do good in Slytherin. But then there is loyalty and bravery. You are honest too. Quite hardworking as well but too rough for a Hufflepuff... " the hat continued in Lyra's mind which was going blank with every passing moment. Even the Hall became silent since the hat was taking too much time.

Aurelia held her husband's hand firmly. Although she said truth, no matter which house the kids will go to, their families will always stand behind them in full support. Still she couldn't help herself from getting jitters. Ethan kept his eyes on both his wife and his niece. Suddenly he heard loud clappings. 'Shit, I missed the announcement', he thought. He saw Lyra happily taking off her hat and rushing to the Gryffindor table. He somehow stopped himself from pumping his fist up in the air in victory since he had won the wager going on between all the adults back at home. Both Ethan and Aurelia had betted that Lyra was going to be a Gryffindor whereas others were mixed in their opinions with quite a majority leaning towards the green house. Lyra was happy. She was ecstatic.
Cedric too begrudgingly clapped for her.

Aurelia closed her eyes for a moment. Lyra going to Gryffindor meant more than anything to her. Lyra was now in the same house where once Sirius was in. Aurelia still remembered her brother in his gold and red robes. Lyra looked a lot like Aurelia. And Aurelia had the typical aristocratic Black features which both Sirius and Regulus had also donned. Looking at Lyra one could not deny the stark resemblance between her and Sirius. No matter how much Regulus tried to deny the existence of his 'traitor' brother Aurelia could not bring it to herself to forget the truth. The truth that Lyra was Sirius's daughter.

✨Do hit the like button.
What was your favorite part? ✨

Regulus seems to believe his brother was a traitor. Looks like there is some bad blood between the two. 🤔

Guys please comment and share this story if possible.

The next chapter will continue with Cedric sorting.