Chapter 6: Sorting Part 2

Ethan noticed his wife was lost in her thoughts. He gave her a gentle jerk which made Aurelia to come back in present. She gave a small smile to her husband in return of his questioning looks. The sorting continued and soon it was time for her favourite boy ie., Cedric.

"Diggory, Cedric Diggory", the name was called out by the transfiguration professor and Cedric hesitantly made his way to the sorting hat. He kept praying in his head for a certain house. Right before the hat was placed on his head he turned to have a last look at his aunt and uncle. Feeling content that they too were looking at him, he allowed Prof McGonagall to put the hat on him.

"Hardworking, loyal, genuine, open-minded, compassionate... Oh leave it.. You must be in HUFFLEPUFF", the hat cried out the last part loudly. The moment Prof took away the hat, Cedric jumped off the chair and ran to his aunt. He forgot he was in Hogwarts. He forgot his aunt was a professor there. He forgot he was not supposed to act like this. Cedric forgot everything in that one moment and only remembered to squeal in happiness and grab his aunt for a big hug. Aurelia thought felt too shy for the sudden attention she and Cedric seemed to be receiving. But the moment the boy put his hands around her waist, Aurelia smiled a genuine smile and held him close. She then kissed Cedric's head and congratulated him. Ethan chuckled at his nephew's childish behavior and reminded him gently to go to his house table.

Ethan's voice acted as a bucket of water for Cedric. It was as if he suddenly remembered where he was and what he was doing. He suddenly let go of his aunt, looked up at her sheepishly and mumbled a soft apology before running to his housemates. The older students knew Aurelia was Ethan's wife and since Ethan and Cedric had same surname they quickly connected the dots and understood that the boy shared some close relationship with the beautiful professor. However the first years were all spooked. They were waiting for some kind of epic punishment for Cedric. But alas Prof McGonagall then decided to continue with the roll calls.

On one side Cedric tried to hide his face with his tiny hands. The boy was beyond embarrassed and knew he just gave everyone the biggest opportunity to pull his leg in future. Even his children were going to hear the story about how Cedric hugged his aunt in front of hundreds of students and professors right on his first day at school. He wished for the day to end already. Ernie felt secondhand embarrassment on behalf of his friend. Then there was Lyra who was fuming at the recent activities. 'How dare that imbecile come near my Lia. I didn't get to hug her like that. What's so special in him. Ugghh.. 'Needless to say someone was quite jealous.

Ethan was enjoying the whole show. He understood his nephew's embarrassment, his niece's jealousy and his wife's discomfort due to the sudden attention. Even he knew Cedric was never going to hear the end of his deeds in near future.

Thankfully Prof McGonagall continued the roll call and except for clapping once for Ernie when he too was selected in Hufflepuff Cedric kept his head down. The night became a bit more excited again for the students when at the end two red head twins with surname something like wesly were sorted in Gryffindor. The Professors could see the future troubles those two boys were going to bring. Ethan smiled to himself while watching their antics.

Aurelia kept an eye on both Lyra and Cedric to ensure they were comfortable enough. The sorting ended without any further incidents and soon it was time for dinner. Once all the students were seated the professors too went at the hall end. Ethan again pulled out a chair for his wife and sat next to her after making sure she was seated and comfortable. The dinner commenced and the first years let out a surprised and delightful gasp at the sudden appearance of so many dishes. Cedric finally smiled genuinely for the first time since the incidence as his favourite Yorkshire Pudding sat right in front of him. Aurelia sneakily sent a treacle tart from her table to him which got her the biggest grin from Ced in return. After the Headmaster's permission all began dining.

Once the feast ended Headmaster Dumbledore stood in front of the podium to address the students

Once the feast ended Headmaster Dumbledore stood in front of the podium to address the students. " Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! The first years its my duty to inform you all that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. Now follow your house prefects who shall lead you to your dorms. Your trunks have been placed prior to your arrival. Now move ahead".

Soon the students followed their house prefects and went to their respective dorms. After the students left , the professors too went ahead to their personal rooms so that they could finally rest. Ethan grabbed his wife's soft hands and took them to their room. "The first days are always so exciting", he said to Aurelia with a smile on their way. "Hmm.. It was surely exciting. We need to write back tonight to both Amos and Regulus though. " replied Aurelia. Ethan nodded in agreement and upon reaching their room the two at once got into writing the letters. After writing for quite some times once they were fully satisfied that all the events has been documented, they sent the letters through their owls.

Before sleeping Aurelia enchanted two slips of paper with a sweet goodnight wish for both Lyra & Cedric and charmed the paper to fly directly into the hands of the intended receivers. After getting ready for bed Ethan wasted no time in pulling his wife to him. Though the young man wanted some romantic moments with his wife he knew she was dead tired. He was content while holding her so close to him. Her back was sticking to his front and the young couple slept while spooning each other with a bright smile on their face.

The first day back at Hogwarts was finally over.

✨Do hit the like button. Comment on which part was your favourite.

Guys also comment whether the story is going slow or is it ok?

Next we'll see some new characters as now Lyra and Cedric will be making new friends. ✨

1092 words