Chapter 8 Classes and Doubts

The entire school was back on its normal routine. Classes started and despite being the first day few professors did hand out homeworks as well. The first years would always have either a perfect on any other senior year student who would accompany them to their next class. So far Cedric liked Transfiguration and charms the most. Potions was tolerable if he would ignore the condescending looks of professor Snape. He had two more classes after lunch.

Lyra too was done with ancient runes, arithmetic with her uncle and DADA. She had double potions after lunch which she was dreading since she heard from a few seniors how the potions professor has always had a certain animosity with the Griffindors. Besides it might be her paranoia but something made her feel like Snape had already developed some negative premonition about her with the way he sneered at her direction once or twice since yesterday. Right now she was heading towards her common room with the other students when she saw her aunt at a distance going somewhere. Quickly telling her favorite room mate Lily Mason to go ahead without her, she made a mad rush to her aunt.

Aurelia was walking towards her husband's classroom since it was almost lunch time now and she wanted to walk to the Great Hall with him. Suddenly she heard loud steps coming towards her. Looking behind she was amused to see her niece running to her with hands full of books and her cloak flowing behind her. Aurelia stopped and fully turned to Lyra's direction. Lyra soon reached her aunt but was breathing heavily due to her brief run. Aurelia took her books in her own hands and waited patiently for her niece to catch her breath. Once regaining her composure, Lyra gave an embarrassed smile to her aunt. Aurelia simply laughed at her cute antics and made her way to Ethan's class with Lyra matching her every steps.

"So how was your day so far? You had 3 classes by now, isn't it.? Ethan told me your second period was with him today. And did you sleep well yesterday? Your roommates, are they good? " , Aurelia fired multiple questions at once to her niece.

" I'm liking it here so far, Lia. And yes I had 3 classes, ancient runes, arithmetic and then DADA. After lunch I have double potions. I slept well, thankyou. And there are 3 other girls in my dorms and I like Lily Mason most out of them". came a long reply.

"Auntie, Professor Snape, does he have some issue with me? " Lyra asked wanting to clear her suspicion. "Why would you say that? Did something happen", Aurelia asked instead, now stopping at the entrance if Ethan's class to give her full attention to Lyra. " He didn't say or do anything in particular but i felt he was sneering at me yesterday and today as well. ", Lyra said rather in a embarrassing tone now feeling she shouldn't have raised such topic without any solid conclusion. Aurelia simply stared at her niece for a couple of moments to check her expressions whether she was saying complete truth or if there was few hidden incidents Lyra might have kept to herself. Lyra understood what her aunt was thinking and babbled quickly, " That's all that happened. I swear. I was just being nervous since its my first day and all. Promise", she added the last part while showing her palms.
Satisfied with the fact that Lyra was not hiding anything, Aurelia smiled at her and said, " Professor Snape is a very peculiar person. Mind you he is not bad. He is just not too social. Though it's better for you to keep your distance from him. If he says something to you, just be courteous. But Lyra, if and this is me being very serious, if you ever feel uncomfortable with him or with any other professor, student anyone, promise you'll come straight to me. Never hesistat . Even if it seems idiotic to come to me for silly things I won't mind. "

"I promise", said Lyra, now happy after her talk. Soon Ethan too came out of his class once he felt that the girls were done with their serious talk. He could hear bits and pieces from inside and felt it was best not to intrude.

" Ah, my favourite girls are here, " said Ethan while coming out and announcing his presence. Aurelia gave a heartwarming smile to her husband who quickly grabbed her free hand to press a kiss into her palm. Taking the books from her, Ethan guided the girls to the Great Hall. On their way they continued discussing their day.

After lunch it was finally time for potions class. Lyra quickly exchanged her books in her dorm and made way for the dungeons with the other students. The Gryffindors shared potions with the Ravenclaws. The way to potion class was dark and ominous as if indicating the mysterious aura of their potion professor. The classroom too was deadly silent. The students seated themselves and Lyra made sure to sit with Lily Mason. Soon Professor Snape made a theatrical entrance with his cape flowing behind him dramatically.

"Keep your wands inside and take out your textbooks and parchments

"Keep your wands inside and take out your textbooks and parchments. There will be no wastage of time on any foolish introductions. Today we'll learn about the basics of potion making. The important ingredients, their characteristics, way to identify them and many more. Without a strong foundation your building no matter how tall will always be weak.", Snape started the moment he entered the class.

Instantly the entire class sat upright and bought out the required things. For the next 2 periods Snape droned out the detailed basics to his students which they tried to copy down diligently. It was sheer torture for some as nonstop study for any 11 year old will be quite unbearable after the first hour.

Although Lyra still felt a few nasty looks were being thrown at her by the prof whenever he would pass her desk, still she liked the class. Or perhaps she liked the subject seeing as potions was her daddy, Regulus's favourite subject as well. Back at home she often accompanied Regulus who used to prepare wolfsbane for his husband. She knew the ingredients of the potion well, today she got to know their individual contributions too. If someone removed the occasional sneerings and deduction of house points from Gryffindors for simply breathing, one could say that Lyra will be looking forward for more potions class. Since her birth, Lyra has always been dotted upon. So now this was new for her. Not being liked by someone. Cedric doesn't count since he holds no importance in her life.

All in all the classes ended and the first years still had a smile on their faces. Cedric couldn't wait for the dinner since his aunt had promised him that he'll get his favourite desert today then. His day was spent well except for few uncomfortable moments when he came face to face with few giggling admirers of his. Goodness, he couldn't wait for dinner.

Dinner time was finally here. Again the students assembled in the Great Hall and dined together. Tonight Dora decided to sit with her cousin which was a beautiful surprise for Lyra. Her dinner went quite eventful since Dora was herself a very lively person and her antics kept bring bouts of laughter at the Griffindor's table. Add to that the Weasley twins and the trio were unstoppable.

Ethan looked quite pleased with the mayhem being caused at his old house table. He liked chaos. Aurelia was happy because her niece was happy with her cousin and her nephew, well he was in heaven after the heavy dinner he had finally completed.

Headmaster Dumbledore took a silent inventory of the scenery around him. This peace was very much needed. People needed this break after so much losses. The first wizarding war had impacted numerous of families. Many children who had lost their loved ones were there in front of him. But to see them safe, smiling, well fed and happy bought a smile on the old man's face.

Life was good. The night ended on a happy note with the hope that tomorrow would be more beautiful than today.

✨Do not forget to press the like icon. Comment on your favourite part.
Who is your favorite character so far? ✨

1409 words