Chapter 16 Aurelia: The Hufflepuff

Life was good. November ended and the harsh winter season began. Snow covered each and every inch of Hogwarts grounds. Needless to say students were often found indulging in snowball wars with the twins as the instigators mainly.

Ethan loved this season. It gave him multiple opportunities to spend his evenings curled with his wife near the fireplace in their chamber during many evenings. "Oh, it's too cold Lia. Come up honey. We'll cuddle. Come, come", and with this Aurelia would find herself within his inescapable grip.

Cedric loved this season because he no longer needed to order his chocolate milkshake separately. Apparently in winters Hogwarts served it as well as part of daily menu.

Lyra didn't particularly like winters. Maybe because the snow on her hairs would melt and make it wet. Every body knew how sacred hair was for Blacks. Aurelia was the same. One could often find her complaining about wet snow to her husband who would then proceed to brush off the snow from her head before it melted.

Yule was approaching. And with it was coming the holidays. Both the kids were going back home and couldn't actually wait for the day. Aurelia too was eagerly waiting for the break so that she could meet her brother and brothers in law. She was specially worried about how Amos was living in the empty house. Till last year Cedric was there to keep him company. And due to the little boy Aurelia used to make many impromptu visits back home because neither the boy nor his aunt could stay apart for long. She would also plan visits to the Blacks and would see her family almost twice a month. This year they had only met once since the session started. So yes, Aurelia was ready to go back home.

Thinking about the upcoming holiday Aurelia was passing the hallways when she heard it. Faint but surely there was a sobbing noise coming from nearby. Deciding to look for it rather than going to the hospital wing as she had originally planned, Aurelia turned towards the sound. Sure enough there was a tiny Hufflepuff bend over the bench and crying her eyes out. Aurelia's heart broke looking at the scene. She immediately went to the girl and began rubbing her shoulder in comfort. " Hey, what happened? Are you hurt miss? Tell me. " She said soothingly. The little girl peeked out of her bended knees to see Professor Diggory right beside her. With quivering lips she said, "No, I'm not hurt, mam".

Aurelia gave a relieved sigh and then asked, " If you don't mind me asking then please tell me why are you crying in this beautiful weather.That too on a sunday! "
The little girl had stopped crying but among a few hiccups she managed to squeak out, "Mum says I can't come to home on my holidays. They are going somewhere and i should stay here. " Tears began to fall again but the girl continued, "It.. It would be my fir.. first holiday miss. All alone. I want to go home". Aurelia just about wanted to grab the little bean in her arms. But, professionalism. Yes. She reminded herself. 'You cannot hug students like you do with Ced and Lyra. Remember what Minnie said. You can't repeat your mistake. Okay. Aurelia you can do this. Don't fall for the trap. She is not Ced. She might not like being like a baby.'

Controlling her instincts Aurelia wiped the girl's tears and asked, "What's your name sweetheart? "
"Emily, Emily Heart" came her short reply.
"So Emily did you know that at Hogwarts right in the Great Hall there is going to be a 50 feet tall Christmas tree? All decorated with balls, lights, sparkles and what not. Also did you know Professor Flitwick will decorate the entire school and it will look so beautiful. We will miss it all. But you miss can enjoy all that. Also for Christmas there will be so many delicious treats. " Aurelia said in an encouraging tone. Hearing the words '50 feet tree' Emily had stars in her eyes. She forgot her woes. "Will there be a Santa? " she asked eagerly. "Ah, you see why would you want Santa when you have Professor Dumbledore? " Aurelia replied jokingly. Giggles erupted from the tiny girl and she nodded approvingly.
"You'll love Christmas here, I promise" said Aurelia in a serious tone.
"Thankyou mam" , Emily said with a smile.

Then the two stood up from the bench. Aurelia was going to turn back and go ahead with her original plan of visiting Poppy but was stopped by a hand on her robes. "Mam, can I, can I hug you? came a soft, scared request. Aurelia just scooped the little girl who was truly quite short for her age and bought her in a tight hug. " Of course you can sweety. Hogwarts is your home too. Remember that. And this place will always be a home to you. Even when you complete your studies. Hogwarts shall always keep uts doors open for all it's students whenever they need it. " Said Aurelia. Truer words couldn't be said. Hogwarts was a home to it's students. Many more will come with empty hands and heavy hearts but will leave with this place with their choosen family and beautiful memories.

That night at dinner the Hufflepuff table was not so surprisingly looking at their assistant house head with lots of love and admiration. Apparently the short but sweet interaction between Aurelia and Emily had been witnessed by few older Hufflepuff students and the entire house
soon knew about it all. Cedric sat more proud than ever. His aunt was totally a mum material he thought. Ethan noticed certain grazes on his wife and asked her about the same. But then when did Aurelia ever noticed any grazes over her. She knew when Ethan was looking at her. But for the rest of the world she was totally blind. The night went rather peacefully and little Emily too slept with a smile on her face.

✨Please hit the star ⭐ button . Do leave comments dear readers.
This chapter was rather a filler chapter but the scene was something I had in my mind since long. Aurelia is just such a sweet soul. Is she really a Black? I think the Diggorys have made her softer than how she originally was. 😃

Regular updates are being showered. Enjoy ❤

1076 words✨