On the Outskirts of Mount Airy (History Lesson 2/ Part 3)

Joseph Cornelius Strange, who was called Joe even as an infant, was known for his shooting skills even in high school. Before he won the state Future Farmers Youth Hunter competition in rifle and archery and helped his team place second in the national JROTC Air Rifle Championship, Joe honed his skills at local turkey shoots. He won his first turkey shoot at age 6. By the time he turned 10, the parents of boys that Joe beat each year were mad. Their boys didn't stand a chance from this machine, they said. Joe was moved up to shoot with the adults. He won the next two years until he was finally banned by officials who told his dad that no one would enter once they saw his name on the list of participants. We gotta make some money, they said.

As a shooting savant, already interested in the military as evidenced by his participation in JROTC, one would think Joe Strange would join the military. He thought so too. He went to college on an ROTC scholarship. He wanted to be an officer and a gentleman, just like the movie. And, he was doing well until he met the professor and then he met the girl.

The professor helped them see that there could be a better world. Joe and Jane and others wanted to be a part of change and a part of the revolution of the people. It was only much later that they realized that the revolution did not involve only marches and protests and clever catch phrases on signs waved in the air. The revolution would involve violence and killing and in the words of Professor Nation - "Taking back what's ours."

Jane was and still is the love of Joe's life. He would follow her anywhere. Or would and did, until he did not. Too dangerous. They had a kid now and if what he had seen so far played out, trouble was coming and there was nothing they could do to stop it.

Joe begged Jane to leave the professor, but she would not. She knew the truth of the revolution, and thought she could help stop it. She wanted to help her country, but now, Joe was not so sure. Jane was embedded so deep, he was not so sure whose side she was on. If this all went bad, and it was going bad, no matter what, he did not want to be the one who had to decide who was the enemy. Especially when the enemy might be the love of his life.

Joe forced Jane to choose and she chose the professor. Joe chose a life of preparation. He would get ready for what was coming because the end was near.

Thirty minutes after they pass still burning wreckage and bodies from a battle, they are almost on the outskirts of Mount Airy. Joe turns to Leia, "I know I hit him."

"You did, sir, I saw the blood," says Patrick.

"Maybe we need to turn around, go see for sure," says Leia.

"That'll be dangerous," says Reginald. "And, I need to check on the prince's safety. Get word to his mother, if possible."

There is silence in the truck.

Patrick reaches for the ring box in his pocket. It's his lucky charm. Only the thought of this ring on the hand of Eliot has kept him safe so far. "We're all shook up," he says. "From what we just saw of the battle. Of our people. Destroyed. I know this feeling. We're in shock. Angry. Mad. Upset. Not a time for decisions."

"He's right," says Leia.

"Yes," agrees Reginald. "The kid's right."

Joe knows it too, but he doesn't like to leave a job unfinished. "Y'all get back to Dobson as quick as you can. I'm gonna stay in Mount Airy tonight, gather some ammo, some information, wait to see if Gus shows up, then I'm going back, if I need to," he says and adds, "I hit him. I know I did."