The Whole Truth

At this point in the story, Eliot has grown from a person who follows a self-serving set of survivor rules into a person who follows a new set of rules. One, help others; two, leave no man behind; and three, save the prince. When Eliot leaves with her prince to go to join the kid caravan to safety, she believes she is following all the new rules. But, she is not. She leaves a man, Jack, and a woman, Carli, behind.

It is only because of her inability to lie with a straight face that Eliot is not told the truth until Elkin.

The caravan pulls over at Elkin to wait for Jack and Carli to catch up, but they are never coming.

"They're not coming," say Steven. "Let's go."

"Let's go," echoes Cindy Lou.

"Go," says Baby Christopher. "Go, go, go."

"Steven, rule two, leave no man behind, or woman," Eliot says. "Give them a minute to get here," she laughs nervously as she scans the horizon.

"They're not coming," says Torin. "We couldn't tell you. You're a terrible liar. They had to believe it."

"Who?" asks Eliot. "Believe what?"

"The Canadians. The Santa Clauses. They had to believe that Jack was really the prince."

"Why?" asks Eliot.

"Because, One Nation needs to believe it. So they'll quit looking for the prince," says her dad. "Danger. Dangerous for him to still be here, be with us. Dangerous for him and us."

"Firestarter was going to burn him at the stake," say Steven. "We had to make sure they think Prince Torin is gone."

"Oh," Eliot says. "But what about Carli and Jack?"

"They are hopefully on their way to Canada, then England," answers Torin.

Eliot seems relieved at this answer. "So, they'll be safe?" she asks her dad.

"Hopefully," says a man who normally never counts on hope. Maybe, he has changed a little too.

As they load back up to drive towards the bus caravan, Eliot thinks - Carli always did want to travel abroad, but will I ever see her again? And my mother, what about her?

Later, after the reunion at Statesville with a busload of kids, and miles more of distance before stopping for the night, an exhausted Eliot snuggles an equally exhausted Torin.

"Why'd you let him go? Let Jack go?"

"It was his idea, his and Agent Lancaster. Said it was the only way to keep me safe since..." His voice trails off.

"Since what?"

"I told them I was not leaving without you."

"I could have gone with you."

"I know, but I couldn't leave them either. I couldn't leave my people. These people. They are like my family now. You can't leave your family."

"No, you can't," says Eliot echoing her dad. "Family first."

"You got that right, my lady." 

Eliot looks around the campfire. She sees her family: Leia, and Patrick, and Marla last minute packing for their journey, Chloe and Millicent all snuggled together in one sleeping bag. Cindy Lou rocks baby Christopher to sleep in her lap. She sings a song, Eliot hears bits of an old, early Taylor song and, wait, is that Harry too? Jamie and Loud Luke and the other older kids laugh around the campfire. Cindy tells them to hush it, she has a baby for goodness's sake. Clay and Hellman and her dad set up a perimeter and a schedule for watch, the men from Pilot are patrolling. Adam and Sarah put little ones to bed. Tommy and Steven are off somewhere saying their goodbyes. Eliot looks around and sees a camp full of people getting ready for bedtime.

Their future does not look any brighter, but Eliot is content because it looks like there might be the possibility of a future when, before, all seemed lost. The future is not so bright, there are for sure hardships to come, but it seems safer. And, that is enough for now.

Eliot sees her prince. He is asleep beside her. Eliot slips in and out of sleep and awake. She dreams her purpose: General Nation and the One Nation Army and Firestarter can try to take our country and destroy our home, but they can not have my prince, our prince. No matter what. We are going to a safe place now, far from the madness.

Her eyes are heavy. Eliot turns to look at Torin just to make sure he is still there and not a dream. Eliot feels peace. She reaches for him in the dark. She reassures herself. Torin is beside her now, and Eliot knows for certain what she feels. Before she finally goes to sleep, Eliot says out loud in a whisper only she can hear:

If not for my prince, I would be lost.