33) Circle of Love

The almost flat tire finally gives up the ghost three miles from our base camp. It hung in there until we were riding on a rim, and Torin taped on the roof of the cab, calling the time of death.

It's ok, we all agree. It's not far now, and we can walk - we said one mile back.

We don't realize how tired we all are. The bumpy ride and staying up most of the night while some of us (the children) looked for Gus, and the rest of us (me and Torin) experimented in all the ways to avoid sleep, has left us disheveled and grumpy. Children are whining and complaining, and I have decided to join them.

"Anyone bring any water?" I ask in disgust at their lack of preparation.

"I'm thirsty," say Chloe. "And my feet hurt." She holds up one pathetic dirty tennis shoe, and I can see holes in the bottom and laces that are broken and look like they have been re-knotted together by a six-year old.

I feel a pang of shame, but only a small pang, because my feet hurt too. Even though I know exactly how far away we are from camp, I want to ask the most annoying question ever created by kids on a road trip - Are we there yet? But before I can, Torin reaches down to re-tie Chloe's shoe. He then helps her onto his shoulders and says, "We're almost there sweet one, right Elie?"

I nod because I don't trust my mouth to be an adult.

And then there's a miracle on our death march to Dobson. Turns out these kids could most definitely make it in my dad's end-of-the-world survivor camp.

Luke holds up one hand, yells, "Halt, troops," points to a nearby shady area and says, "Fifteen minute rest break."

Luke looks at Torin for approval, and Torin confirms his approval with, "Yes, fifteen minute break."

When we are all settled under the shade where it is ten degrees cooler than the road, this is where the miracle happens with Luke saying, "Ok, circle up, let's see what you got."

All the children stand up around the circle we form and start emptying their pockets and the couple of backpacks they are carrying. Weapons, like knives and rocks and rope and hand tools and lighters, are dropped at their feet as if to say - this is what I got to kill, or maim, or capture. These weapons loudly declare - I am ready if you need me to put someone's eye out or set them on fire.

Other items are tossed into the center of the circle. Small pots, matches, four canteens, flashlights, batteries, two sets of binoculars, a first aid kit, eight MRE meals, a whole box of granola bars, and what looks like a run over bag of Doritos. I look at Torin who is smiling, I know, because Doritos are his favorite.

Luke looks at Chloe who so far has not thrown anything in the circle center.

"Oh, ok," she says as she holds up her very dirty, very naked doll. How that can be of any help is beyond me until she pulls the filthy doll's head off. "I was saving it for a 'mergency," she says. "I guess it's 'mergency time."

Chloe shakes the doll until all the contents are in the circle center beside the other contraband. I count six packs of Bazooka gum, including a pack of grape, and sixteen individually wrapped soft peppermint puffs leftover from Christmas. They might not be still soft, but I bet they are still good. My mouth waters thinking about sucking on one of those peppermints until it melts to oblivion. Those peppermints were always my dad's favorite treat at Christmas time, and I flashback to checking his pockets for the treat.

When Chloe is finished emptying her doll, Luke looks at Torin and me and says, "We share, it's our number one rule."

I look at Torin who turns a little red because I know all he has in his pockets are condoms. Half of these kids won't know what a condom is for, but half will. I try to save Torin and me from an equal amount of shame at what we were doing while they were up all night looking for our friend. "Well, Luke this is embarrassing because all we got is our knives. No time to pack." And then because there is obviously something in Torin's pockets I add, "This is sort of embarrassing. I did ask Torin to hold onto some feminine hygiene products for me."

Of course Luke, like every other guy in the world, does not want to discuss or see tampons or even know of their existence so he says, "Yeah, right. Ok." He claps his hands twice, we all sit down, and soon granola bars, a bag of Dorito dust, and canteens of water are passed around.

By the time fifteen minutes are almost up, we all have mouths full of bubble gum, and Torin has shown several kids how to successfully blow a bubble inside another bubble.

"I like these old school tricks," says Jamie to Torin. "Is this what y'all did before the internet?"

Both Torin and I laugh, and Torin says, "Not much else to do in those olden times. We had to look for ways to entertain ourselves."

Luke agrees with him and then adds, "I guess we are all old school now 'cause there ain't no internet no more."

"No, there's not," I agree, "but at least we still got these." I read my Bazooka bubble gum cartoon to the group. Soon, we are all taking turns reading them and passing them around, and laughing.

We miss our fifteen minute deadline because we are having too much fun.

It is still good to be a kid, even at the end of the world.