35) Back at Santa Camp

Torin and I must look fairly innocent and non-threatening because as we approach, I see the lookout almost raise an alarm and then start waving at us like we are in a parade, and if he waves hard enough, we will throw him some candy. He waves so hard and jumps up and down and just when I think he is going to tumble off, he climbs down like a cat on a hot tin roof. He is yelling, and I make out one word as he runs closer to me.

"ELIOT!" he screams. And before I can stop him, Patrick picks me up, twirls me around until I almost vomit, and kisses me smack on the lips. He pulls me back at arm's length, looks at me like he can't believe it is me, and then drops to his one knee like he is about to propose. Oh my Lord, he is about to propose.

Before I can say - no or stop or I love another, Patrick says to Torin as he bows his head, "Welcome your majesty. It is an honor to finally make your acquaintance. How can I be of service?"

Torin looks at me and I say, "This is my friend, Patrick," as Patrick stays with his head bent and on that one knee like he is awaiting for either permission to get up or be knighted.

"Oh, you are the famous Patrick. I have heard about your exploits." Torin looks like he can't help it, but a grin is about to escape. "Your soldiering exploits, that is. Thank you for your service to what is quickly becoming my country as well. Nice to meet you, Patrick," says Torin as he pulls him up. "You can help us by showing us where our friends are."

By this time, the people from the fire pit area and a few from inside have gathered. The older gentlemen are quiet and look like they have seen a ghost. Though they all have on black leather vests with a variety of patches on them and scraggly beards, up close, Chloe is right - Santa Clauses.

Patrick quickly excuses himself with his need to get back up on the roof and maintain protocol. Before he leaves, he tells me we will catch up later when he is off duty.

Millicent soon has her arms around Torin and quickly explains why she is here, "I hid. I waited for my prince to come home."

Get in line girl, I want to say, but don't.

One of the Santa Clauses says, "You must be Jack. We heard you and the prince was almost twins."

Torin doesn't say anything. He just smiles, but Cindy Lou tries to explain with, "Well, he's our prince. He's a real prince to us, and you can't have him."

"Well, ma'am," says Santa Claus, "We don't want him. We're just trying to help the prince," he points inside "get back home."

"Why, thank you," says Torin. "I detect an accent, where are you from?"

"We're Canadians," says another of the Santa Clauses. "Drove for miles and months to come rescue the prince. Heard he was in danger. We're ex-military so we know what we're doing. Come to give the prince an escort back to safety."

"Thank you for your service," says Torin. "And thank you for mounting a mission to save the prince."

"It was just luck we found them at all. Carli and the prince. We found them in West Virginia. Just dumb luck we ran across them. They said they had to come here first and check on their cousins before we go home. We've heard our military is nearby at some place called Pilot. We been waiting for you. Steven said you were on your way. I'm Ruby, by the way. Reuben Barbeau."

"Where is Steven?" I ask Ruby.

"Inside the house. Sleeping, I guess. Most of us was worn out. Been driving all night."

Torin excuses us to go check on our friends with an, " Excuse us please. We are worn out as well, but would like to first check on our friends." He hands Millicent off to Cindy Lou and tells her he will join her momentarily. He asks Cindy if she can scrounge up some extra eggs for very hungry children who will soon be here.

"Well, you know it. Just gotta find 'em first. Half those chickens is still round here hiding somewhere-ever. Millicent and Christopher can help me."

When we go inside the house, I don't know what I expected to see, but it is not the sight before me. Santa Clauses are asleep on every couch and chair in the living room and a few are curled up in blankets on the floor. Torin and I tiptoe around them and head to the kitchen where we can hear muted voices.

We find our friends. Clay and Leia and Steven sit around a table talking. There's a fired up wood stove in the corner, and I smell the delicious aroma from a fresh pot of coffee perking on the stove. I announce our entrance by asking, "Got any more of that coffee? I'll take a cinnamon roll too, please."

And then there is hugging and back slapping all around.

"Where are Jack and Carli?" I ask and add, "Agent Lancaster, Marla, Tommy?"

"Agent Lancaster, Marla, and Tommy went into town to hopefully find some more gas," says Steven. "Carli and Jack are sleeping in the back bedroom."

"And for your information sir," says Clay to Torin. "I have interrogated our visitors and confirmed they are legitimate. Though they are confused about who is a prince and who is not, they seem to want to help you."

"They do seem quite earnest in their endeavors," agrees Torin, "but I'm not yet sure if we should reveal the truth just yet. Are they with the Canadian military in the Pilot Mountain city?"

"They are not the bunch who dropped those flyers, but we went to check them out, " answers Leia. "Agent Lancaster says that group is legit too. Seems the Canadians are on the good guy side."

Steven continues with, "Well, apparently they know that you and Jack look alike because Cindy and Millicent have already told them they got the wrong prince, but they have paid them no mind. And Jack and Carli have let them believe what they believe."

We talk a little more about plans to leave and join the caravan. I am anxious to see Carli again and to make sure she is all right. Other than my dad and my wayward mother, Carli is the only family I got left. I have to know she is ok. The last time I saw Jack and Carli they were leading the enemy away so Torin and I could escape.

I tell Torin where I am going, and I walk down the hall with light steps. I don't want to wake them up, I just plan to peek in on the two heroes. I'm not worried about finding them in a compromising position because, even though they seem all lovey-dovey and have some type of relationship that is not defined by society, I do not think they are lovers.

As I put my hand on the doorknob, I hear Carli. She is crying and I hear these words" "No, stop, stop, don't, please don't." Carli is pleading and crying, and I completely lose my mind and all thoughts of reason. I turn the knob and bust through the door, and before anyone can say anything, I have my knife out and it is on the throat of a man I have never seen before, but he looks familiar.

It is Santa Claus.