Epilogue: God and Country

Carli hangs on tight to Jack and wills herself to not turn around for one last glance. For this plan to work, everyone must believe that the "prince" is leaving. Carli and Jack are decoys. Carli is now the girl that the prince has been rumored to be with. She is one more reason the Canadians will believe they have the real prince. If they don't believe them, then the plan will fail. 

Carli is sad that she didn't get to tell Eliot goodbye. She may never see her again. Eliot is probably her last cousin alive because most of her relatives were in a now gone New York. Chances seem small for a reunion later, but Carli learned some things from Uncle Joe when she visited in the summers. Before they left, Uncle Joe reminded her that she knows what to do.

Carli will see what's left of her family again, she knows it.

Carli and Jack follow behind Agent Lancaster who is the key to the plan. Reginald Lancaster didn't want to leave Prince Torin behind, but he wants to get home. Her majesty will be angry, but from what he has heard in the last few weeks, the prince might be safer in America. Crazies are everywhere. One managed to throw a Molotov cocktail at the king's motorcade last month. There's no word on the king's well being, though he did manage to get a message out before the bomb. Agent Lancaster is unsure if he can trust it, but he goes with his gut because there is no way to reach the king now. The royal family seems to have gone in hiding as rumors of an overthrow of the government and the monarchy are spreading even to an embattled America.

Reginald Lancaster rides toward Pilot Mountain under the orders of his king and his future king. The plan seems solid. Agent Lancaster was always good at deceit and trickery, it has kept him alive so far. Hopefully, his son Gus is good at it too.

A red jeep leads the way to Pilot Mountain. A red jeep that has seen a lot of action in this story. This exit may be the last of the red jeep. We will see.