A Mother in Stuart, Virginia

Fiona Firestarter, known as a "holy terror" since her preschool days, has a rare quiet moment as she relaxes in a bubble bath.

"This is divine," she says as she reaches her glass out for a refill. "You are living well here, I see."

"Told you so," replies Gus as he pours the champagne. "About time you got here."

"Ah Gus, I have missed you so," Fiona practically purrs. "Can you grab that loofah and hand it to me? I need to scrub some of this soot and smoke off."

Gus picks up the loofah and hands it to Fiona, but "accidently" drops it in the water. "Whoops, sorry. Can I get that for you, maybe help you scrub some of that soot off of the hard to reach places?" He gets on his knees and reaches his hand into the water. He is close now, close enough to smell the smoke. Like a barbeque, he thinks, or a campfire. Enticing, she smells enticing.

"I don't think that is where you dropped the loofah," says Fiona.

"You smell delicious," says Gus. He nuzzles her neck, plays with her hair as his hand searches, searches.

"The smell of victory," says Fiona as she leans her head back to enjoy. "But, so much to do yet. So much to burn, so little time."

Gus pauses so briefly as to be indiscernible and continues his search. "Yes, you have been quite busy, my darling."

"It's been very difficult, Gus, but fun too. I do love a good fire." She moans in pleasure, arches her neck.

Gus moves his hand harder, faster. "I know you do. We all do. We all love a good fire."

Eliot's mother, Jane, is many things: a spy, a deceiver, an infiltrator of the enemy, but most of all she is a mother. That is why, the only reason why, she still tries. She plays the game, one step ahead, always one step ahead. Her step ahead this time involves General One Nation dying like he should, like he is supposed to be doing.

But, this is not to be.

Fiona Firestarter, who is a looney, a nutter, a headcase, according to Gus who has known her many years, is not so crazy that she doesn't travel with proper medical care. Along with the smell of incineration, she brought a surgeon with her and a full team of nurses. The surgeon has performed a miracle.

"Kerry will live," proclaims Clementine Thomas in obvious delight. "He has asked for you."

Jane looks annoyed at Clementine, an old friend, who she absolutely cannot trust. His loyalties shift with the wind. She tells him what he wants to hear and holds back the sarcasm. "Great, tell him I'll be there shortly." She dismisses him with a wave of her hand.

Jane likes dismissing people with a wave of her hand. She could get used to this. Jane likes to give orders too and have people, especially men, scurry around like their lives depend on it. She summons someone to her side. Summoning people is pleasurable. With the great general on the mend and a bat shit crazy ally ready to burn down the country, who knows how much longer she will have this power.

Gus appears as summoned.

"Houston, we got a problem," says Jane.

"What? Houston? Oh yeah, funny Jane. Very funny. But Houston, we do have a problem for sure. Fiona is a problem who is one brick short, taking uppers so she does not need to sleep, and she bought enough petrol with her to burn the entire eastern United States."

"The general is going to recover," says Jane.

Gus throws his hands up in the air. "Houston, we do indeed have a problem. I fear that he and Fiona are going to be great friends," replies Gus, then, "What's the plan, boss?"

"I'm not sure they will be great friends. Maybe, that is the plan."

Gus thinks for a minute. "I get it. Start a fire?"

Jane nods. "Start a fire. We'll bring the spark."

Ten minutes later, Gus is back in the Firestarter's bedroom. What does he do next?

Gus lights the spark that starts the fire that begins the end of the end.