4) Return of the Ice Cream Truck

Our plans change minutes late because we need to attend to one mission at a time. The possible prince trap in Pilot, which is what we are calling it, will wait. The info from the sky says the Canadian representatives will be there the next few days. The most important thing now is to go check on our army of real American soldiers and Resistance fighters. They should have been back yesterday. We know they engaged the enemy because Torin and I heard the battle on the night we escaped Stuart.

Steven and I walk to get some breakfast and discuss our trip to Mount Airy and then as close as we can get to Stuart without going to Stuart. I don't want to go with Steven. I don't want to leave Torin, but there is really not much choice. We are a camp of children, wounded soldiers, and refugees in various states of repair and despair. There are a few healthy adults besides me, but most, like Doc, have responsibilities here. Adam and Sarah are capable, but they have sworn their allegiance to the children. "We will never let them out of our sight again," said Sarah last night. I understand completely because we all thought the children were dead. I know how they feel.

Since I know Clay will guard the prince with his life, and he has Hellman to help him, I agree to go with Steven.

"I'm gonna load up on some more medical supplies," says Steven. "Meet me out front in thirty minutes."

Thirty minutes gives me just enough time to go check on Torin and take him some breakfast.

I go to the kitchen and pick us up an egg sandwich made from a real freaking egg - where did someone find eggs? The lady cooking says a farmer just showed up with a whole truckload of laying hens. What? When? How? I don't care. I eat my egg sandwich until it is only crumbs and lick my fingers as I walk back to Torin. All the time, I am thinking about one of my favorite books - City of Thieves. In the book, it is wartime, supplies are scarce, and the two heroes bravely search for a dozen eggs to save their lives.

Eggs. Such a simple thing you don't even think about until they're gone. Just like books. I miss books and reading until my eyeballs ache. I think about the hunt for the eggs in the book and realize that I'm having an adventure just like they did. Only, this one is real, and it absolutely sucks.

Screw this adventure. Give me back my eggs and my books, please.

I sniff Torin's sandwich and want to eat it too, but fortunately for him, I see him first. Just the sight of him, and I'd cross a frozen tundra barefooted, which would not be smart, just to make sure he gets this egg sandwich. At least, so far, my adventure ends with a prince. I sigh loudly and my sleeping prince awakes.

He rolls over and farts.

We both act like we didn't hear it because that's what you do when you don't know someone that well. This relationship is new. It's been weeks and weeks, but still I feel like I don't know this man at all. Just a few days ago I thought he might not even be the person I thought he was. And I learned, he has a fiancée. Sure, she is twelve, but still, she is a princess.

"I bought you breakfast. It is a real egg sandwich." I offer it to him like it is a precious gift.

"Smells delicious." Torin reaches for it and takes a big bite. "Ahh, this is divine. I did not realize how hungry I was." He takes another bite. "Thank you, my lady. Where is yours?"

"I gobbled it down."

He offers me a bite of his, and I shamelessly take a bite.

"Where on earth did they find real eggs in these times?" He pauses and then adds, "Eggs. In wartime. Reminds me of a book I read once."

I am surprised and pleased. Torin and I have read the same book. For the next ten minutes we discuss one of his favorites too. Torin tells me the author was the co-creator of The Game of Thrones television series. I didn't know this fact. We discuss the show and the books, and for just a little while, we forget. We are two people discussing literature and what's on the telly like we are sitting in a coffee shop, like we are on a date.

And then Steven knocks on the door. "You ready?"

"Where you going?" asks Torin as he shifts to get out of bed.

"Give me a minute," I tell Steven, "be right there." I close the door and turn to Torin and explain that Steven and I are going to see what we can find out about our Resistance.

"You're leaving me?" He looks like a wounded child.

"Torin, you can't go. You need to rest. We won't be gone long." He starts to put on his shoes which is impossible with one good hand. "It is not safe. Torin."

"My lady, I do not wish to be protected like a piece of fine china. I am not a child at the seashore."

"Torin."

"I do not wish to be separated from you, my lady. Never again." Torin gets out of bed, and I can see what Steven used to call a "Wakeup Woody". It was a funny joke between me and Steven when he would spend the night, but it is not funny now. Even though I've seen this before, I'm slightly embarrassed. I lower my eyes. Torin must feel the same way because he turns his back to me and frantically tries to tuck with one good hand. Torin clears his throat and walks across the room with one shoe half on. He cradles his hand like, if he doesn't, it will soon be on the floor. He touches my face with his good hand and tilts my chin up and kisses my lips softly.

"Good morning, my lady."

It is a romantic moment for the times, except Steven starts honking the horn.

"Torin, it is not safe. You need to rest. I will be back in a couple of hours. And I promise you this, I will not leave you again."

"Right back?" He kisses my cheek then down towards my neck.

Honk. Honk. Geez, Steven.

"Right back."

Just as I think I might be getting a swoon worthy goodbye kiss, Torin looks me in the eye and rather than words of postponed passion, he asks, "With another egg sandwich?"

"That, I am not sure of but, I will try."

"Ok, my lady. It is agreed. I shall rest. You shall go. But, you will be right back. Right back."

"I will be right back." I shake his good hand like I have made a business deal.

Why don't I kiss him back? Give him a swoon worthy kiss of my own? I do not know. I make excuses. I am awkward. Inexperienced. Young.

When I get outside, I see Cindy Lou and Baby Christopher riding shotgun.

"Thanks, Steven," I say. "You ruined a romantic goodbye with that honking.

"That was Baby Christopher," says Cindy as she gets out to let me in. "He is not patient, and he likes to blow the horn. And besides, we are burning the daylight."

"Christopher," I say to a squirmy baby who reaches around me and honks one last time.

Cindy grabs his pudgy little hand and kisses it. "You need to tell our prince you got another boyfriend. It's just not right."

"Cindy," I say and look at Steven who is losing it.

"Well, she is right. You need to tell him."

And Cindy adds, "You can't have all the boyfriends, Eliot. It is not fair. One boyfriend per girl. Times is hard and all the girls need a man. And all the kids need a daddy." And just to make sure I understand, she adds, "Baby Christopher has got no daddy." And then just to make sure I really understand she adds, "And I need a baby daddy."

Cindy is right. One boyfriend per girl. I wonder where Patrick is now. I hope he is safe, but I still dread telling him the truth. The man is in love with me. I will have to let him down easy.