41) Bad News

While my mother waited for a mad man to die, the fate of my country changed for the worse. A new group had arrived from the west. Another faction of revolutionaries intent on destroying America were there to join forces with One Nation. It was the plan all along. Their leader was a fanatic much like General Nation. Her name was Fiona, but she called herself Firestarter, her army she called Scorched Earth. They bragged that they were the ones who set the fires out west. They liked to see things burn.

"Did they set Pilot Mountain on fire?" I ask.

"Most definitely," says my dad. "Gus said he counted ten tankers of gasoline in their fleet. Every other soldier carries a flamethrower."

"Scary," I say because when you scorch the earth, there's nothing left for anyone. This Fiona might be worse than General Nation.

"Did you talk with mom?" I ask. "How?"

"I couldn't get close enough to do anything. It was too dangerous. But, Gus and Clementine went in."

"What'd they say?'

"General Nation's condition looks bad. Might be dead by now, but Gus says, no matter what, he'll take care of it."

"Gus stayed?" I ask. "Why?"

"Both he and Clementine went back. To help your mother."

"Help her what?"

"To end this."

"End this, how?"

"They are already looking to her as their new leader, One Nation is already taking orders from her."

"One Nation. My mama's the new leader of One Nation?" I can't believe it. My mom the leader of a band of monsters. She has truly turned completely evil. "How is she going to end it, if she's the new leader of those monsters?"

My dad stops to consider what he is going to tell me next, like he is trying to convince himself. "I don't know. Fiona and Scorched Earth complicate things for sure, but Gus says that Fiona seems to be listening to your mom, so far. Your mother says she has a plan. She says she'll need Gus and Clementine's help, but she can do it. End it. End it for good." And then as if to make sure he believes what he is saying himself, he adds, "We've got to trust her, Eliot."

Trust her? How can we?

"She sent you a note." He hands me the note, but before I read it, he gives me another note from Gus.

I open his first.

Darling Eliot,

Do not worry that pretty little head of yours. Your mother and I have this. This will all end shortly, and I will return to my country a hero.

Have you received your ring yet? I hope it fit and you enjoy its enormous size. Young boys can be so impulsive sometimes.

Take care of our Prince. He is in grave danger.

Your hero, Gus

That Gus, always the kidder and the tease. I hope he survives this. I hope his dad will be ok with his decision. I say a quick prayer that Gus does return to his country a hero.

I read the next note from my mom:

Eliot,

First, of all, I love you. You are the best thing that ever happened to me and your dad.

Secondly, trust me. I have done some bad things trying to stop the world from ending and trying to keep it from completely being gone. I don't regret any of these things because I can't. My focus has to remain on the mission.

One last thing I need to tell you. Prince Torin is not safe. There are people here now who want to harm him - not kidnap him, hold him for ransom, or blackmail his country. She wants to kill him publicly and send a message to the world that we are in charge now. Keep him safe.

I love you - You know what to do.

Mama

It is not lost on me that she said "trust me" in the same note that she referenced herself as "we are in charge now". Can I trust her? Who knows? I think about that last part of the note about Torin not being safe. I show the note to my dad.

"Torin is a target," my dad says. "From stories I have heard, Firestarter likes to burn people. Important people, like senators and celebrities. She uses them to set examples. Think medieval times, burning of witches, Joan of Ark."

I involuntarily shudder. I don't know what to do, but we must keep Torin safe. That is why when I talk to Torin, I agree to let him go. He can't stay here any longer. He has to go home, home to England. And if that means without me, so be it.

I have to let my prince go.