3) Wanted, One Prince

Clay, Torin, Doc, and I all read the piece of paper dropped from the sky. It says:

          Wanted

         by the Canadian Armed Forces,

         acting on behalf of His Majesty, the King,

         Any information leading to the safe return of:

         Prince Torin Henry James Albert of Wales

There is a picture of Torin in his naval uniform and a brief description that does not mention his dimples or his sparkling eyes.

"Why Canada?" I ask Torin.

"It is a partner of England. My mother probably asked for their help. Canada is a part of the Commonwealth. They are loyal to my father, the King."

"Canada is a long way away," I say.

"Ah yes, my lady, but closer than England. And no ocean to cross."

"True," I say, "But still a long way these days."

Doc mentions the obvious, "Didn't look like no Canadian Helicopter."

"No," agrees Clay, "and not Canadian soldiers either. But, I did recognize the Wrays. Bob Wray is a veteran. I think the lady was his wife. Bob's been giving helicopter tours of Pilot Mountain for forty years. He's honest. You can trust him. That's why I let the kids eat the lollipops."

Clay reads the rest of the paper out loud. "Reward - food. A truckload of canned goods for information leading to the safe recovery of the prince. Truckload of food, that sounds familiar."

"Sounds like a trap," I say.

"Says to meet them at the civic center in Pilot Mountain tomorrow, gives the date. They will be there for next three days."

"What should we do?" asks Doc.

I open my pomegranate tootsie roll pop and raise my eye brows to Torin. "Your call, my prince."

"I wonder if they have some beanie weenies in that truckload of food?" he asks as he opens up his chocolate tootsie roll pop. "Or more of these? This is delicious."

After more discussion, and tootsie roll pops are gone for what might be forever, it is decided. There is to be a road trip to Pilot Mountain.