34) A Peek at Camp

Rejuvenated by the stashed bounty and the lukewarm water, we arrive at camp about an hour later. Unfortunately, it is the same camp that we declared perfect from a strategic standpoint. Marla's granny's place sits on a hill, and if my guess is right, there is still probably a lookout on the roof. For that reason, we decide to spy first before we enter.

We are at the bottom of the hill shielded, hopefully, by the grove of cherry trees. Torin and I and Luke and Brooklyn are taking turns spying on camp. This is what we see:

A lookout on the roof. I can't see his face, but it looks like one of the soldiers. He peers through a rifle scoop like he is hoping to shoot something or somebody.

A few people, including two rough looking Hells Angels and Cindy and Christopher, sitting around a campfire. It looks like they are eating eggs.

A little girl, probably Millicent, swinging on the porch swing with a large, bearded man in a leather vest. Other than Christopher, she is the only child we see, so we assume the caravan of kids have all gone, which is good, but why was Millicent not with them when they left?

There is no sign of Steven, Carli, Jack or the other men I saw ride by. They must all be inside, either that or gone already. Though, Steven promised he would wait, and he would never leave anyone behind because that is one of our rules. Unless. Unless he is dead passes quickly and in and out of my brain because the thought is too impossible to process. When I spot the ice cream truck parked behind the barn I breathe a sigh of relief, as if there is no way to escape except in an ice cream truck.

"What do you think?" asks Torin. "I don't see Steven or Carli and Jack."

Before I can answer, Chloe insists on looking through the binoculars. "Let me peek," she begs. She scans the camp and proclaims, "Not dangerous." She looks again and laughs, "It's not the Go to Hell Angels. It's a bunch of Santa Clauses."

I look again. Sure enough, the bearded, older men do look like Santa Claus. And, Millicent and Cindy and Christopher don't look afraid or in danger. In fact, Baby Christopher is riding his horsey to town and falling down the leg of one of the men. It's hard to tell from here who is enjoying the horsey ride more, but Baby Christopher most definitely wants another ride.

Still, things are not always as they seem, says my dad always. "Dangerous," I proclaim. "I'll go in, check it out. Y'all stay back. Hidden."

"I'll go with you," says Torin.

I shake my head, "Are you crazy?"

"I am going, Eliot." He turns to Luke, "Keep the kids back. Hide them at that old barn we just passed. Brooklyn, you take the kids. Luke you stay here and keep an eye out. If it is safe, we'll wave a white flag from that roof. If we don't, get on the road to the next town and try to catch our caravan of kids. Tell them we sent you."

"Yes, sir," says Luke as he makes his round-up motion for the kids. They are quickly gone out of sight.

I try to reason with Torin. "Torin, everyone is looking for you. It is not safe to enter a camp full of people we don't know."

"You are right my lady. It is not safe, and that is why I will accompany you. I told you I would not leave your side again, and I believe you said the same thing."

He is right, I did say something like that.

Torin and I walk into camp with me praying the whole time that the soldier lookout does not shoot us both dead in our tracks.